MMORPGs (Poll of sorts)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jaydemir

MMORPGs (Poll of sorts)

Post by Jaydemir »

1. I'm sure this topic has been done to death in the past, but things change as time passes.
2. I don't know if there is an actual poll format to post like other Forum sites, so forgive me if I missed it.

I'm just curious, overall, what most of you guys do if you want to play an MMORPG.

There are a few that are decent, a few that run on browsers, but as far as native Linux MMORPGs go the choices seem to be only Ryzom and Champions of Regnum (of course, my idea of an MMORPG is comparable to something that looks and plays like WoW).

The only way to really play any other good MMOs are either thru Wine or dual boot.

Are most of you content with just running Wine in your Linux system? Do you play any of the Linux Native MMOs?

My problem is that I like gaming on my production machine, but I refuse to install Wine because it can prove to be messy and vulnerable. I DO have a separate drive with Windows, but it really irks me to boot into it because I've grown very annoyed with Microsoft products in general.

Anyway, just curious to see what other Linux users do in regards to MMOs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: MMORPGs (Poll of sorts)

Post by xenopeek »

That's a bit limited list. What about Shroud of the Avatar, Albion Online, Shadowrun Chronicles, ARK, Vendetta Online and quite a few more out there and some rumoured upcoming ports (Star Citizen?). I'm not into MMOs so perhaps these don't exactly fall in the same category as Ryzom or Regnum.

Anyway I prefer single-player RPGs and I don't go the Wine route but support developers that support Linux. Admittedly, the offerings here are much better than how it looks for MMOs. I mean we have Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Torment, Wasteland 2, Baldur's Gate I + II and Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment Enhanced Editions, Shadowrun games (not Chronicles), and many more big games. Add to that upcoming games like Pillars of Eternity II, Wasteland 3, Bards Tale IV, Underworld Ascendant, System Shock, and Project Resurgence and it looks good on that front.

You'd think that there is enough money to be made from games like World of Warcraft to justify a port. Perhaps the cause is the kind of MMOs you want are largely developed by the kind of companies that are just not doing anything on Linux (yet).
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

xenopeek wrote:That's a bit limited list. What about Shroud of the Avatar, Albion Online, Shadowrun Chronicles, ARK, Vendetta Online and quite a few more out there and some rumoured upcoming ports (Star Citizen?). I'm not into MMOs so perhaps these don't exactly fall in the same category as Ryzom or Regnum.
You know I haven't considered the paid options. I have to look into those. Thanks for the feedback!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

More free and paid options from the Linux game database: https://lgdb.org/games?sort_by=created& ... 22_tid=All
bitte-warten

Post by bitte-warten »

i played some of the "fallout online" mmorpgs since 2009. played them alot actually - they are for free, on windows but had not troubles running them on VMachines. its made from graphics of the original fallout 1 & 2 but with their own engine which features "real-time" and of course the turnbased combat too.
there is a lot of splinter groups making their own servers from the original open-source sdk by cvet. servers also come in different native languages (mostly russian and polish).
like :
Fallout Online : Reloaded <- is very Clan and PvP orientated. but has a very postapocalyptic and difficult community...
Fallout Online : 2 <- is more roleplaying involved and focus on PvE. very active and caring dev staff, not as many players as the above though.
Fallout Online New Vegas and 3 which i havent tried yet but they look promising.

good luck in the wastelands (=
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Everquest

I play an emulated game, through software to emulate directx, on an operating system it wasnt meant to run on.... obviously its a great game. I was there in '99.

Return to “Gaming”