Problem opening Freeciv [SOLVED]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Problem opening Freeciv [SOLVED]

Post by cecilieaux »

Running Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) 64-bit, I tried to open freeciv (I have version 2.4.2 gui-gtk 3.0) and I get error messages about not being able to connect to a local server and suggesting I do it manually.

I have installed and uninstalled several times using Software Manager and I am somewhat at a loss.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Problem opening Freeciv

Post by xenopeek »

If you want to play it on your own computer you must also install freeciv-server. While you will also see "Freeciv server" in your menu after install it, you can just start Freeciv from your menu and start a new game. It will start the server in the background automatically and terminate it after you exit Freeciv.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

xenopeek wrote:If you want to play it on your own computer you must also install freeciv-server. While you will also see "Freeciv server" in your menu after install it, you can just start Freeciv from your menu and start a new game. It will start the server in the background automatically and terminate it after you exit Freeciv.
Worked!

How do you know all these things? I've seen your name in many answers.

Cecilieaux
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

cecilieaux wrote:How do you know all these things?
Software Manager doesn't show you this but several other package managers do: when you install the package freeciv it recommends you to also install freeciv-server. From the error you gave it is a small leap to assume probably this recommended freeciv-server is needed for local play :wink: I think there are other open source games around that have such a client/server architecture where you need the server for local play and I had that nugget of information stored somewhere in my memory also. I confirmed by installing freeciv and afterwards freeciv-server before offering the solution to you.

Return to “Gaming”