Linux Mint won't recognize Planescape Torment sh file

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stonelands

Linux Mint won't recognize Planescape Torment sh file

Post by Stonelands »

Hi everyone,

I bought Planescape Torment from GOG earlier today but Linux Mint cannot open the sh. file saying that xed cannot detec the character encoding meaning I can't extract anything. I've tried following the scripting process given here http://wiki.dotslashplay.it/en/games/planescape-torment but when I reach step 3 the terminal is informing me that the script needs to be given an archive downloaded from gog.com. Since I've selected the enhanced version in the 3rd command, I don't understand what it is I'm being asked for.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint won't recognize Planescape Torment sh file

Post by xenopeek »

To be clear, you bought the Windows version of Planescape: Torment? Because that is what the page you linked to is for.

If instead you bought the Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition (https://www.gog.com/game/planescape_tor ... ed_edition), which seems more like what you would have done, that you can run on Linux. From your GOG library download the game and make sure to tell your web browser to save the file to disk — don't open it in your text editor! After having downloaded the file open your file manager and right-click the file you downloaded there and from the context menu select Properties and go to the Permissions tab there. Set to allow executing the file as a program. Now you can double-click the downloaded file in your file manager and you should get the option to run it.

Have fun playing this awesome game :D

Return to “Gaming”