Trying to get Elder Scrolls Online working on WINE

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WalkingBear

Trying to get Elder Scrolls Online working on WINE

Post by WalkingBear »

Hi everyone!

I'm totally new to Linux. I finally had enough of Microsoft's nonsense and made the switch. I'm now running Mint on dual boot and for the most part, I love it. The steep learning curve seems a bit daunting but I'm not afraid to learn something new. I've done a little scripting but not a codehammer by any means.

My only issue is my preferred game: Elder Scrolls Online. I installed (or so I thought) Play on Linux/WINE and then ESO following the instructions within Play On Linux. Living in rural Alberta, downloading near 50GB took nearly 2 days. My system was very boggy during all this (which I was expecting) so once the install was done I restarted. Now I can't find Play on Linux and ESO gives me an error message. I went into WINE Configuration and the virtual drive it created is no longer there (or at least, I can't find it).

I have a monthly cap of 300GB from my ISP and REALLY don't want to spend 2 days downloading again...

I've spent some time at itsfoss.com reading tutorials and I'm finding my way around the Terminal but I'm being careful with it :wink:

If any Learned Linux(er?) could help me sort this out, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!
~WB~
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WalkingBear

Re: Trying to get Elder Scrolls Online working on WINE

Post by WalkingBear »

Ok, so bad original title and wrong forum. Got it.

Thanks to whoever the mod was that edited and moved my post. :lol:
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I *do* have *some* experience with downloading games and using Wine. However, I think you should have made another copy of that downloaded file and saved it to another location before you restarted your computer. If you can't find the downloaded file, the drive you saved it to may have swallowed it.Sometimes Play On Linux takes a while to 'cement' things into place before you can actually do anything with the game itself.
Just for future reference, you don't have to restart Linux the same way you do Windows after installing a program. You can just restart the wine drive where the game is. Look for the Play on Linux options.

Play on Linux is actually a front-end for Wine, which makes Wine much easier to use. If you need additional help with Play on Linux, you can check with the Play on Linux gaming forums.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
WalkingBear

Post by WalkingBear »

Thank you for the reply. Learning curve; almost straight up.

And Namaste to you as well.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Yes, some things are really different between Linux Mint and Windows. However, it's a really happy and gratifying experience to finally get everything working just the way it's supposed to without Windows. So buck up! It's not hopeless! I've only been using Linux Mint Cinnamon since March of last year! I've had to reinstall my Operating System probably six or eight times since then, on four different hard drives But it's working now, and I'm happy. I hope you can be too. :)
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
WalkingBear

Post by WalkingBear »

I'm actually considering a re-install. I think I've made a bit of a mess with the OS. Mint is very slow suddenly. My intention was to eradicate WindBlowz as soon as I got Linux (and my skills) stable, but I think I'd better just start over. I'm guessing I tried to do too much, too fast. :lol:

Return to “Gaming”