[SOLVED] I cannot get Quake from GOG to work

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] I cannot get Quake from GOG to work

Post by flatiron »

I installed play on linux from the software manager library thing. Then I saw wine on my home menu, so I clicked on it to see what was going on because I hadn't downloaded wine yet. But then it started installing wine, which was odd to me, so I was trying cancel it. But it wouldn't let me cancel it until I canceled the Gecko and Mono downloads, which I did cancel.

And now I am downloading 2.21 though play on linux. Do I need to reinstall the MINT OS?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Did I screw up wine?

Post by jimallyn »

flatiron wrote:Do I need to reinstall the MINT OS?
I can't imagine why you would have to.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Play on Linux is a front end for Wine; you can't use POL without having Wine installed. It's possible that you won't be able to use Wine because you would not let it install other things which it needs. But it may also install them anyway.

I would generally advise you to not cancel random things when you don't know what's going on.

But even if you did mess up a program, that's no reason to reinstall your whole OS.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Using play on linux I installed wine 2.21 staging. But I cannot get Quake from GOG to work. See this thread https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-15 ... rsion.html
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'll move this to Gaming on Linux, you may get some help there. Good luck!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I cannot get Quake from GOG to work

Post by flatiron »

Okay, if I install GOG quake with PlayOnLinux I can sorta play quake by clicking on "Quake (Software Mode)". This opens it in dosbox, but there are some issues.

1) There is no sound
2) The resolution is horribly low and if I try to raise it it slows the game down.
3) The screen is a tiny window.
How do I play it in 1080p with no lag, the sound turned on, and full screen?
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zeddrich »

I have some experience with POL. Each game you'll likely want to install in it's own psuedo-drive on install. winehq.com should be able to tell you what version of wine to use for any particular game; different games will run on different version of wine. POL will allow you to install/use the correct version of wine for whatever game you are running. When using POL let it install any additional libraries that it requires(it should do this automatically).

This is the link for quake:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=930

they don't have a specific version for GOG listed, which is odd since they usually have, but I would just find the particular version that you are using and try the same wine version they have listed. If you go into 'Configure' on POL and click around a bit you should be able to change the wine version.

Also, check through the GOG forums(if you haven't already)and see if anyone else has made any post about playing Quake with wine. I know, GOG doesn't offer direct support for playing games with wine, but other people have likely been where you are.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Here is a guide for Darkplaces Engine and Quake
Darkplaces Guide
All you need is the PAK files for it to run in Darkplaces. You get a lot more options and settings with this engine.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Oh, I got it to work. I though I posted about it.

See this thread for the solution.

https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/ ... _how/page1

Return to “Gaming”