Steam games on Mint?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CalebOWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Steam games on Mint?

Post by CalebOWolf »

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 usff and I just installed steam on it and I can sign in and see some of my games for Linux but when I hop into a game it's just so slow. Is there a setting that I can change to allow my games to run faster on Linux mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HappyWags WolfLove Arwoooo!
[LM 20.3]
PC Specs
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
GPU: AMD R7 250
RAM: 8 GB (4x2 GB)
SFF Tower: Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF
SSD: Samsung 256 GB
Wi-Fi: TP-Link AC1300 Archer T6E
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Steam games on Mint?

Post by AndyMH »

Somewhere in the loft I have an Optiplex of similar vintage gathering dust. Think your problem is more hardware than software. Its been a while, like well over a year, but was running steam under mint 17.3 on a lenovo thinkpad (i5) and it was fast enough.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Booman

Post by Booman »

With older hardware it really comes down to which games you want to play.

These days any hardware can run games, but the older the video card, you can only play older games.
I have a Chromebook with Ubuntu 12.10 and I can play Torchlight and some DOS games and 2D games.

I was actually able to play Spiral Knights too...

I know the Optiplex 755 have a PCI slot, but if its one of those small form factor cases, you can only install a small form factor video card.
You might be able to pick up a newer card on Newegg.com, but make sure its PCI-Express 16. You probably won't be able to use PCI-Express 2.0 or 3.0 cards. Just not compatible.

With a newer card you can install newer Linux Distros and Nvidia drivers.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Um, doesn't steam delete all your files? why would you install it?
Booman

Post by Booman »

Which files are you referring to?
I've never had a problem with Steam
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

flatiron wrote:Um, doesn't steam delete all your files? why would you install it?
Never heard of that happening.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

flatiron wrote:Um, doesn't steam delete all your files? why would you install it?
What are you saying??? You should think really hard about what you just said.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

No, look it up. They delete all your files. I cannot trust a company that cannot avoid doing something like this.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Is ... 0558.shtml

"Someone at Valve wrote the Bash command wrong, which instructed Steam to delete everything on the computer."
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

flatiron wrote: No, look it up. They delete all your files. I cannot trust a company that cannot avoid doing something like this.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Is ... 0558.shtml

"Someone at Valve wrote the Bash command wrong, which instructed Steam to delete everything on the computer."
Thats fixed now. You should've read the date of that article: Jan 20, 2015 10:01 GMT
TechnoJunky

Post by TechnoJunky »

I have an older computer running Linux, it has a Core Duo 3.00 Ghz with 2 gigs Ram. I have Steam on it, and have for some time. I have 2 copies of Steam in fact, one is Linux native and the other is installed via WINE.
Steam does not delete anything and the games that that my hardware limits meet play just fine. If your computer doesn't meet the hardware requirements, running Windows or Linux, the game won't run/play properly. Check your hardware and compare it to the requirements of the game.
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

hey guys .
i am currently using :
System: Host: aliyous-Aspire-VX5-591G Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.8 (Qt 5.6.1) dm: sddm,sddm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia