How do you install GOG Observer?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do you install GOG Observer?

Post by flatiron »

running the cleaner did nothing. And I still haven't figured out where that wierd file/program came from.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

flatiron wrote:I just noticed that I have something called "xed.desktop" on my computer. I have no idea what this is. It says it is untrusted when I double click on it. Any idea what it is or how it got there? Is it related the observer issue?
I'm sorry; I don't know, but I don't think it's the game.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

I just reloaded the OS. Let's see if that works.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

The whole screen goes black except for the door square icon thingy when I go through the first door... or even if I get near it. Why and how do I fix this?

Any alteration of the graphics settings, other than full screen and gamma, causes the game to screw up and everything to go black.

Also, deleting the EPIC file gets rid of the first issue I had. It is a hidden file.

Now I just need to be able to see past the first door.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Would these instructions work on mint? How do I update my graphics drivers on MINT?

"Hello,

I'm sorry for late reply.

Let me firstly clarify that the reason why the game is asking for Steam API presence is because there is also other version of this game, that is available on Steam. However, because the GOG version of the game doesn't utilize Steam API, it fails to load that part of the code, and simply skips it. Naturally you don't need Steam to run this game.

I was able to find out that your graphics drivers are quite outdated, and won't be able to support this game. Let's try to update system and graphics drivers, to make sure that there aren't any other libraries, that are required by the game, but are not present. Please follow:
- Open your default terminal emulator ("Terminal"), and run the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If you encounter an error at this step, please cancel the changes and let me know (you can copy the error message with CTRL + ALT + C, and paste it to your reply with CTRL + V)

You system might ask you to reboot to complete the changes. After that please go back to the Terminal again, and here type:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

Once that is done reboot once again. After reboot please check if you will be able to run the game.

Just in case, for more details about updating your graphics devices drivers, please check out this article:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/11/inst ... 7-2-ubuntu"
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Is this the right driver for MINT 18.3 cinnamon 64? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... Notes.aspx
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

I did this

"- Open your default terminal emulator ("Terminal"), and run the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade"

Which I guess didn't harm anything.

see attachments... which can't post because both the files are between 250 and 280 kilobytes... I think you need to raise the size limit.

But should I run the below?

"After that please go back to the Terminal again, and here type:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade"
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

flatiron wrote:Is this the right driver for MINT 18.3 cinnamon 64?
Ordinarily the right driver will be installed during the installation of the operating system. If not, then open the Driver Manager and select the Recommended driver, then reboot the computer. If that doesn't do it, open a terminal, enter inxi -G, and post the output of that command here.

It is NOT recommended to use the dist-upgrade command in Mint.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Was it alright for me to use

"sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade"

???

I did the inxi thing and have attached the image of the result.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

flatiron wrote:Was it alright for me to use

"sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade"
Probably, although it is best to do updates with the Mint Update Manager. Some updates can cause problems in some systems, and Update Manager doesn't install those updates unless you specifically tell it to. sudo apt-get upgrade updates everything, without regard for any dangers there might be. But it's not common for updates to cause problems, so you're probably fine. Some people install all updates and never have any problems, others aren't so lucky. So I usually stick to Update Manager.

The inxi output looks to me like you have appropriate drivers installed. Did you install that driver manually, or is that what came with the system install?

It sounds like the system locking up when you change video settings is likely related to your video card/driver. I think if I were you, I would post in the Hardware Support, Graphics Cards & Monitors section of the forums. I don't claim to be a video expert, and you're more likely to get the help you need in the Graphics Card section. You should mention that you are trying to get a game working, and that you have problems when you change settings. If you manually installed a driver, include a link to the instructions you used to install. You should also open a terminal and enter inxi -Fxz and copy/paste the output of that command in your post.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Oh, great. I'll just reinstall again. rainbows bullshit! Yes, there were level 4 updates for this system. Guess there is no easy way to role that back.... rainbows pisses me off... just to get one sorry rainbows game to work..... AHAHAHGHAGHAGHAGHAHG
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Is there any way to roll back the level 4 and 5 and 3 updates?
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

And no, this was the driver mint had automatically.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Just to let you know. Observer simply does not run on MINT. SOMA will run. Quake will run in quakespasm.

Return to “Gaming”