Win 10 vs. Mint on Minecraft

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Win 10 vs. Mint on Minecraft

Post by katalia369 »

My Computer:
Linux Mint 17.3
Cinnamon 2.8.8 64 Bit
AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850B x2
4GB Ram
NVIDIA GT218 (GeForce 8400 GS Rev 3)
Yup, its an older workhorse but stable as sin so not complaining.

Partner In Crime Computer:
Windows 10 Home 1703 OS build 15063.674
64 BIt
AMD FX 4100 Quad Core 3.60
8GB Ram
GTX 750
He calls his the monster, its a gaming system

These two computers are on the same LAN and on the same version of Minecraft Java Edition (1.12.2). We can both play single player simultaneously, no worries. We can both log into the same outside server and play against each other without lag issues. We cannot open our single player games to LAN however and connect to one another. I cannot see him on the LAN at all. He can see me, but the system times out before connection can be made.

I'm excellent with hardware, decent with software, new to but learning Linux decently enough, and an absolute nothing in networking. I am willing to be that it is something in my system that is not set up correctly since I have done, well nothing, not a single line of code or app or driver towards my network. I just connect to the net and have had no problems before this.

Any suggestions on what I need to do on my end to make the connection work?

Kat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uberdorf

Re: Win 10 vs. Mint on Minecraft

Post by uberdorf »

Your firewall is probably on the linux computer. The LAN port on multiplayer minecraft is randomized, so it won't be 25565 like if you went on a WAN server. The easiest thing to do is to turn off the firewall while playing on the LAN, then turn it back on when finished. Otherwise you will need to look at what port is being used on the host computer, then open it on your firewall, then after the host minecraft game is finished delete the firewall entry because a different port will be used in the next LAN minecraft session.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Post by katalia369 »

It never did work. Even after I built a new system with enough memory to host. Weirdest thing
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

@katalia369

on your windows machine, open firewall rules and search for " JAVA SE" and give allowance.

chances are you will have to do this every time. as it uses a different port each time....

given the low cpu core count and the low ram on these machines this may also have been an issue for a local connection.

Minecraft Java Edition is CPU heavy, not Graphics Card heavy.

I know this because on my:
Ryzen 5 3400g with 16gig ram, the CPU was at 90-98% most of the time.
AMD FX 4130 quad core 16gig ram, was crashing after an hour and a half on a linked game. (lasted longer when both were running mint 20)

the 2 computers we were linking together for a local server both had 8gig ram dedicated to Minecraft Java edition 1.12.2 (my son likes his mods) and we could only push it to 19-20 mods in single or networked game before having severe crashes.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Post by katalia369 »

Thank You
I will try that

He is still running the same machine but with an increase in RAM, mine has since been completely rebuilt to to include a Ryzen 3700 and 32 of RAM :)

Mrs J
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

with 19-20 mods we were using around 7.5gig ram each.

if you have firewalls on the linux machine running you will need to find the java runtime and allow it as well.

oh and roblox sucks on both :lol: :lol: and doesnt work on linux

Return to “Gaming”