Virtual machine vs WINE?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Virtual machine vs WINE?

Post by flatiron »

I keep thinking I saw somewhere where you could run a virtual version of windows (I have no idea what that actually means BTW), but it would run at full, and you didn't have to pay for it.

So, if I want to play Witcher 3 and Deus Ex and The Longest Journey Series, which is better? And how do you do the virtual machine?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Virtual machine vs WINE?

Post by Appoloin »

Running Windows virtual means it running on emulated hardware ie cpu, memory, gpu, network are all faked by the emulator.

To run a virtual version of Window's you'll need VirtualBox and a Window's install disc. There are legal ways to get a version XP for free but for one those games you need at least version 7 64bit.

BTW - Two of those games work in WINE
Deus Ex GOTY http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... post-12553

Dreamfall - The Longest Journey http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... uide.1077/
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The main difference between running Windows in a VM and using Wine is this: a VM is harder to set up and uses more system resources but it's reliable. Wine is a stupid hack and is simply not reliable. What it actually does is try to translate Windows system calls to Linux system calls. This often isn't going to work.

In fact most Windows software won't run at all in Wine and much of the stuff that does run works poorly.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

An other downside of Wine is that it doesn't work with USB unlike a virtual machine.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Bolle1961 wrote:Another downside of Wine is that it doesn't work with USB unlike a virtual machine.
That's useful to know. I also couldn't find a way to emulate an optical disk in Wine.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Hoser Rob wrote:The main difference between running Windows in a VM and using Wine is this: a VM is harder to set up and uses more system resources but it's reliable. Wine is a stupid hack and is simply not reliable. What it actually does is try to translate Windows system calls to Linux system calls. This often isn't going to work.

In fact most Windows software won't run at all in Wine and much of the stuff that does run works poorly.
Wine is a very useful tool for running old PC games (2005 or earlier). In fact, I would say it's better for that job than a post-XP Windows OS because it's more configurable (particularly with PlayOnLinux).

Will Wine run the latest and greatest commercial Windows software? No

Will Wine run older and open source Windows software with some margin of error? Yes
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

flatiron wrote:I keep thinking I saw somewhere where you could run a virtual version of windows (I have no idea what that actually means BTW), but it would run at full, and you didn't have to pay for it.
You've got mail. A PM, to be exact. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Gaming”