Questions regarding Playonlinux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Questions regarding Playonlinux

Post by whois1230 »

Hi, from what I understand, Playonlinux is based on WINE. Are WINE and Playonlinux safe? What I mean by this is wheter or not I can get a virus, since they are based on Windows? Can Hearthstone/The Elder Scrolls: Legends/League of Legends be runned with Playonlinux on Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Questions regarding Playonlinux

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Yes, you can get a virus in Wine.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/wine

I wouldn't say PlayOnLinux is based on Wine, it's more of a tool to install and configure Wine.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

There is an inherent risk when you're running Wine. Personally, I consider this risk to be small enough for my personal taste as long as I stick to these three rules:
- use Wine only for software from a reputable source (downloaded directly from a well-known manufacturer, for example)
- use Wine only for software that does not use the internet
- use Wine only for software that runs when it's being used and is then closed. Not for software that runs all day, every day.
Using Wine within these rules falls under my personal asessment of 'safe enough'.

To know whether something will work in Wine, check here: https://appdb.winehq.org/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Gaming”