Questions regarding Playonlinux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
whois1230
Level 2
Level 2

Questions regarding Playonlinux

Post by whois1230 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:48 am

Hi, from what I understand, Playonlinux is based on WINE. Are WINE and Playonlinux safe? What I mean by this is wheter or not I can get a virus, since they are based on Windows? Can Hearthstone/The Elder Scrolls: Legends/League of Legends be runned with Playonlinux on Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit?

deepakdeshp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Questions regarding Playonlinux

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 am

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD processor . Memory 8GB

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 am

Yes, you can get a virus in Wine.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/wine

I wouldn't say PlayOnLinux is based on Wine, it's more of a tool to install and configure Wine.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Moem
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:28 am

There is an inherent risk when you're running Wine. Personally, I consider this risk to be small enough for my personal taste as long as I stick to these three rules:
- use Wine only for software from a reputable source (downloaded directly from a well-known manufacturer, for example)
- use Wine only for software that does not use the internet
- use Wine only for software that runs when it's being used and is then closed. Not for software that runs all day, every day.
Using Wine within these rules falls under my personal asessment of 'safe enough'.

To know whether something will work in Wine, check here: https://appdb.winehq.org/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”