Chess program advice (SOLVED)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jim Hauser

Chess program advice (SOLVED)

Post by Jim Hauser »

Hi all!

I have been playing Dream Chess against the AI for quite some time now. It has been playing good but I was wondering if there might be a better (harder) chess program or engine. I am beyond the beginner level but not an expert yet.

There are a lot of chess programs and engines but thought I could save a little time by asking for advice first.

I am running Mint KDE 18.3 with 8 cores (4 gigahertz,) 16 megabytes RAM and plenty of storage (6 terabytes) so hardware should not be an issue. Currently I am interested in only a good AI setup.

TIA

Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Chess program advice

Post by trytip »

i play gnome-chess with hoichess crafty gnuchess and stockfish engines. you can change engines in gnome-chess > preferences > opposing player. (after changing engines you need to restart gnome-chess

for a more advanced chess board you can try pychess
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Jim Hauser",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Have you tried KDE' "Knights" chess game? You can use various chess engines from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" or "freechess" online and choose a difficulty level as well. The "Stockfish" chess engine is supposed to be pretty great, and it is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Home - Stockfish - Open Source Chess Engine
https://stockfishchess.org/

chess for linux download
https://www.google.com/search?q=chess+f ... 37&bih=705

Hope this helps ...
KDE_Knights1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you use package Manager AKA synaptic, and search for "chess",
then there is a lot of chess programs & their supporting files.
:)
in that lot is Brutal Chess and which is inspired by the once popular "Battle Chess"
8)
it's been some time, since I've played around with Computer Chess programs,
and my all time oldie still is REBEL DECADE 3.0 from Lokasoft and were all DOS or Windows programs.

& thus I'm still assuming that the latest Computer Chess programs are superior in their style,
but, maybe not so much by ELO standard ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jim Hauser

Re: Chess program advice (SOLVED)

Post by Jim Hauser »

Thank you to everyone who answered my original post! :-)

This morning I added Knights and am using the Stockfish engine. It plays very well and very tough against me!

You all have saved me many hours, days, weeks of searching and trying. Knights does not look quite as good as Dream Chess but that was not my issue. I wanted a good AI to play against and now I have that. Stockfish did not seem to work at all with Dream Chess...

I am still open to any advice about playing chess on/against the computer but went ahead and marked this issue as solved.

Again, Thank You All!

Jim
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Chess program advice (SOLVED)

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Jim Hauser",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Gaming”