Thief Gold GOG issues with POL

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Thief Gold GOG issues with POL

Post by Zeddrich »

So I've recently purchased and have been working to get Thief Gold install via Play On Linux. The file I downloaded from gog.com is setup_thief_gold_1.25_nd_(10929).exe I'm listing this here as other post are for older or different GOG installers.

Using POL I've installed as a non-listed program under a 32-bit prefix with wine 2.10-staging, running under Windows XP. The game installed fine without any issues. After installation however, the game fails to launch sorta; that is it crashes with the run button from the main POL window. Now, if I go to the Configure window and run the THIEF.exe file from the miscellaneous tab I have been able to get the game to run but only within a 800x600 window(not in fullscreen). I did this by going into configure wine and emulating a virtual desktop, without this it botched the fullscreen and only displays the bottom corner of the game screen.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it will launch the game by manually selecting and using the exe, but not with POL's link to the exe from the mainscreen launcher. I'm also wondering if there is a way to get the game to run under fullscreen and not windowed, I haven't noticed any settings that look out of place. Does anyone know what I might be missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thief Gold GOG issues with POL

Post by Zeddrich »

I wanted to update, I did find a video resolution setting in game and upon changing that I can now get the game to launch to full screen, but only by manually selecting the exe from the configure tab... not from the POL launcher.
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zeddrich »

So, I purchased The Sims 3: Starter Pack for my wife as a Christmas gift. Just, got done installing it on her laptop with POL and it's the same thing; I have to manually find the exe to launch the game, but it crashes under the main window.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Playonlinux has install scripts for Thief gold and sims3, it's easier sometimes to let the script do the main install and just tweet the settings latter.

Manual install
Thief
http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... guide.909/
After this I usually install the NewDark mod

Sims3
http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... uide.1696/
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zeddrich »

I did try the install scripts for both of these games(GOG has a specific script for Thief Gold)and both of those scripts appeared to be out of date as neither would install properly with the scripts. Which is why I went with a manual install; I may try other games I've installed in the past to see if this problem persist in the future.

Return to “Gaming”