Nvidia GT1030 - Easy Upgrade - and Cheap

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
G-Mo

Nvidia GT1030 - Easy Upgrade - and Cheap

Post by G-Mo »

A new Mint user and wanted to let others know about a slick $79 upgrade. I have the classic old Dell Optiplex - I5, 8G, with a decent hard-drive. So I put Mint on it to see how Linux has improved from 10 years ago. Wow, it has indeed improved. That little SFF toy is now my main PC but suffered from the Intel 4600 graphics running any 3D title.

I did minor research and ordered a Gigabyte GT1030. These half height cards are low power at 30W. But I was way surprised finding they deliver serious 3D performance as a bonus! I received the card and hoped an easy install was ahead. The Kernel was patched to 4.0.109. I installed the card and was greeted by a VGA 640X480 screen on my wide monitor. Yuk. I navigated the giant menus and windows to the Driver Manager. It updated and there appeared the new Nvidia driver ending in .111 as recommended. It downloaded/installed the driver which added an Nvidia X Settings utility. First reboot and she's happy. Great card maybe not for the AA titles and true gamers but has ran shockingly well with all I've thrown at it. These cards are marketed for the home theater 4K users. They have a passive version too as low heat. Thing is, they should marketed it as a GTx model - that's a GT with a little x :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rearden

Re: Nvidia GT1030 - Easy Upgrade - and Cheap

Post by Rearden »

Great little card for older games and systems without pci express connectors on the power supply. Quite impressive.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nvidia GT1030 - Easy Upgrade - and Cheap

Post by whm1974 »

Yeah a nice cheap card for SFF rigs without room for a full size video card or doesn't have a power connector for GPUs. A big step up from the Intel 4600 indeed.

Return to “Gaming”