Trying to run a few old games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kit

Trying to run a few old games

Post by Kit »

Hi, not sure how to proceed with this. trying to run CIV Call to Power and it lacks font in the option buttons and crashes. Am I better of trying to run a VM (which kinda ruins some of the reasons for moving to Linux) or does anyone know if there is a fix in WINE? Tried running a log but either there isn't one or I totally fail using terminal. :(

Does anyone know if there are likely to be problems running Dungeon Keep, Might and Magic VI, Space Crusade (Dos game) - as I've also got issues trying to install Civ III Complete as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trying to run a few old games

Post by austin.texas »

It would help to know what version of Mint you are using. 18.2?
Desktop? Cinnamon?
Post the result of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Format the result inside the Code tags.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Kit

Post by Kit »

Is this what you wanted?

Code: Select all

System:    Host: kit-desktop Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/07/2014
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42142
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz
           4: 1400 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA Device 1c82 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fb9 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 07:00.1
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: wl bus-ID: 05:00.0
           IF: wlp5s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1080.2GB (4.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST380013AS size: 80.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 165G used: 33G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 20.6C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:29C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 229 Uptime: 2:12 Memory: 1786.3/15942.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
Moderator: added code tags.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thanks, but you missed this part -
austin.texas wrote:Format the result inside the Code tags.
Edit your post. Select all the output. Click the Code button.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Here's a Might & Magic 6 guide: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... #post-7372 :) If you search further on Booman's excellent site, you may find the other games too.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Make sure you have both the wine and wine tricks packages installed. The lengthy way to get any given game working is trying it out with multiple versions of wine, going through the settings until you find what works. Alternatively the easier route is installing PlayOnLinux and seeing if it has an installer to do it all for you or see if there's a wine wrapper. read the instructions for the latter, install any packages it will require in advance, then run it via the terminal and it will automate the whole experience. Windows fonts can be installed and will sometimes help, alternatively some older games have Dos versions and a dos emulator might give you a more accurate experience than a Windows version via Wine.

One thing I do know which might be an option for you if you don't mind spending a little bit of money, is that I have seen a native Linux version of Civilisation: Call to Power floating around from Loki software. Their online store has closed, but I have had luck getting some of their games from online sellers like those on Amazon. I don't have that particular game, but do have some of their other titles. You might need to do some kernal rebuilding due to their age, but there are guides for that and once you've done that, they'll run a lot better than a Windows version through Wine.
Kit

Post by Kit »

I'll give that Playonlinux a go.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

Looks like it's been like that for a while

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=713
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
Kit

Post by Kit »

Yeah, can't get call to power or civ3 to load. Not sure how hopeful I am for the other games.

Anyone got info on running VM?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Kit wrote:Yeah, can't get call to power or civ3 to load. Not sure how hopeful I am for the other games.

Anyone got info on running VM?
With your computer specs, you got the CPU and RAM to run a VM very easily. There are links on this forum regarding setting up VMs.

Good luck!
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Check gog.com. They have the updated version for Windows, but it should run in Wine without any issues. Every Windows game I have from them works just great in Linux using Wine or PlayOnLinux.

https://www.gog.com/game/call_to_power_2
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Some general tips:

Make sure you get a more updated version of WINE. the one in the software manager is outdated.

I had trouble with diablo 2. POL would error when using discs. I had no copy installed on windows partition to copy. So i went to WINE site got the lastest version and installed from discs. Opening the install.exe by right click and open with WINE program loader. I was then able to cycle the discs.

And remember for disc swapping never use the button on your drive. unmounting will fail. Always use the eject button for the drive on file system screen.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Citizen229 wrote:I had trouble with diablo 2. POL would error when using discs. I had no copy installed on windows partition to copy. So i went to WINE site got the lastest version and installed from discs. Opening the install.exe by right click and open with WINE program loader. I was then able to cycle the discs.
What a coincidence, I just installed Diablo 2 and the expansion yesterday. One thing I recommend for Blizzard's classic games is registering them on battlenet, downloading the classic clients they have available and installing those versions. They have an activation code on the page showing you own them and don't require any of your discs for installing or playing. Suits me personally a lot as it's very rare I have a machine with an optical drive of any kind these days.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Median XL, best thing to happen to D2.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Updated to Wine 3 (finally worked out how) Call to Power crashes entire system on attempt to play game :lol: but get a little further in installing Civ 3 (install crashes on disk 2 rather than on disk one :roll: ). Kinda wonder if system will become possessed if I install Dungeon Keeper :twisted:

Return to “Gaming”