Linux native, Wine, DRM Free - Egads!!

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
G-Mo

Linux native, Wine, DRM Free - Egads!!

Post by G-Mo »

I put up a Mint machine to see if it may be a good fit for my older relative plagued with Windows issues. I was shocked how well the thing worked with an I5, 8G ram, and a Nvidia GT1030 card. Forget the relative, this SFF toy is cool and quickly became my main PC. But when checking out games with Mint I was pretty sure Supertuxkart racer was as far as she'd go. Stuffed a Logitec USB game pad in and that little game was a blast. But I have a good WinDose machine should I dare buy and start investing in Linux native games? May mean a commitment? - egads!

Why not. Dual boot is an option but the whole reason I went with Mint is to get away from babysitting Windows. A few games could round out the workstation's usefulness. If you're a hardcore gamer Windows is always the win with more supported titles but we're talkin' about not needing Windows here.

Game software can be native to Linux OS or ran via Wine or program emulating Windows. Steam throws another hook with their "SteamOS" a custom Linux build they support. This machine has to be a ground-up build per their spec and download. Considered a dedicated game machine of sorts. Seeing these PC's becoming more like consoles with "Big Picture" menus for navigating on large TV's. So it's a bit tricky to catch but Steam will show the "Steam" icon for SteamOS and/or Linux. Usually in the description they indicate that the title may not work or install properly on a non-SteamOS box. But what can I run on the Mint box? There are thousands I discovered!

There are so many great games that are true Linux why mess with Wine or Tar files, compiling etc., if your not trying to be a command line master? This is and should be easy. Humble Bundle shows the Penguin icon on their listings and they allow you to sort by Linux. Basically the premium games will only be found with DRM ties. You'll find DRM-Free titles are not the AA quality but may be fun. I spent a lousy $13.00 for Rocket League (on sale) and have been blown away how easy to install and run. Guess I sold out to Steam but have to admit they have got this down. And the WinDose box is still shut off!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux native, Wine, DRM Free - Egads!!

Post by whm1974 »

I do believe that Steam has something like 4000 titles that are Linux native. There is also GOG.com, although not as many natives, however many of their Windows games will run with Wine.

Because of Steam and Wine, I only play games on Linux. In fact no longer have Windows on my desktop and notebook.
Nate

Re: Linux native, Wine, DRM Free - Egads!!

Post by Nate »

With the specs you've given, you could probably run most Linux native games on it. Though you might have to lower the settings a bit for some like the Metro games or Bioshock Infinite. The first gen Alienware Alpha I have connected to my TV has been able to run all those I've thrown at it so far (lots of open source games, just over 400 Steam currently installed on it) and the specs aren't that much better than what you have.

Return to “Gaming”