LF game suggestions, network play, local/couch play, controller support, etc

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

LF game suggestions, network play, local/couch play, controller support, etc

Post by borg101 »

So my son has recently decided he wants to play games over LAN. For my computer, a Home Theater PC, I only have a Logitech K400 keyboard with trackpad and 4 xbox 360 controllers. I'm looking for something I can play with a controller and he can use mouse and keyboard or controller. We've been playing staples like Hedgewars, Super Tux Kart, and Open Arena, but we're looking to branch out. While I would prefer free and open source, I'm willing to spend a little bit (no more than $20 +/-). I've been looking for decent ARPG's but haven't found any that play as well as Diablo and have controller support. I was also looking for Unreal Tournament because my brother and I used to play CTF back in the day with bots over our LAN, but I don't see anything for Linux just yet.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: LF game suggestions, network play, local/couch play, controller support, etc

Post by Portreve »

I love Diablo! It's still my favorite. I also have Diablo II, and it's ok, but I still prefer the original. And as for Diablo III... nah. I've watched demos, but it might just as well be any other 3D game. Also, I don't have the hardware for it.

Never tried playing it with a controller, though. I'm really not a controller-type guy. Then again, I'm not much of a gamer. You'd never see me online; I'd get owned in 2 seconds.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
borg101

Re: LF game suggestions, network play, local/couch play, controller support, etc

Post by borg101 »

Portreve wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:32 pm I love Diablo! It's still my favorite. I also have Diablo II, and it's ok, but I still prefer the original. And as for Diablo III... nah. I've watched demos, but it might just as well be any other 3D game. Also, I don't have the hardware for it.

Never tried playing it with a controller, though. I'm really not a controller-type guy. Then again, I'm not much of a gamer. You'd never see me online; I'd get owned in 2 seconds.
As a young lad, I used PC more than consoles, rocking mouse and keyboard all the way. As an adult, I have no use for a dedicated gaming PC as my HTPC does all the heavy lifting for the entire house. Because it's in the living room connected to a 55" TV, my current keyboard/touchpad with controller works fine. All my end table are to my left in my living room and I am right handed. There's no realistic way, nor visually pleasing way to have a mouse and mouse pad. I've learned not to ask in gaming forums about this because I'm flamed and trolled "err merr gerdz....mouse and keyboard ftw pwns troller nubs!" and any environment where anyone addresses anyone that way, adults or otherwise, I don't want to be a part of.

There are some nice titles out there, but my son does not enjoy RTS, so MegaGlest is out....which sucks because its insanely fun. But we're running through them pretty quickly and nothing really seems to have coop in mind.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

borg101 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 pm
Portreve wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:32 pm I love Diablo! It's still my favorite. I also have Diablo II, and it's ok, but I still prefer the original. And as for Diablo III... nah. I've watched demos, but it might just as well be any other 3D game. Also, I don't have the hardware for it.

As a young lad, I used PC more than consoles, rocking mouse and keyboard all the way. As an adult, I have no use for a dedicated gaming PC as my HTPC does all the heavy lifting for the entire house. Because it's in the living room connected to a 55" TV, my current keyboard/touchpad with controller works fine. All my end table are to my left in my living room and I am right handed. There's no realistic way, nor visually pleasing way to have a mouse and mouse pad. I've learned not to ask in gaming forums about this because I'm flamed and trolled "err merr gerdz....mouse and keyboard ftw pwns troller nubs!" and any environment where anyone addresses anyone that way, adults or otherwise, I don't want to be a part of.

There are some nice titles out there, but my son does not enjoy RTS, so MegaGlest is out....which sucks because its insanely fun. But we're running through them pretty quickly and nothing really seems to have coop in mind.
Have you tried Sauerbraten? It seems to work very well, even on integrated graphics systems.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
borg101

Post by borg101 »

Portreve wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm Have you tried Sauerbraten? It seems to work very well, even on integrated graphics systems.
There is no controller support for it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Look up a guide to install Bombsquad (I used a youtube video, I think it involved adding a repo, installing a few dependencies and then the game itself), but it's amazing for multiplayer and takes basically any control methods you can think of. It's probably the only game I have installed that people I know are always wanting to play and I do have several multiplayer games on Steam that were addicting us all for a while, just lacking that staying power like Towerfall (which I still very much love, but no-one wants to play it with me these days).

Return to “Gaming”