Running Steam under Wine. Trying to open Treasure Adventure World

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Indalecio

Running Steam under Wine. Trying to open Treasure Adventure World

Post by Indalecio »

Ok, I'm running Linux Mint 18.1(I think) and WINE 2.0. I've installed Steam under WINE and want to run Treasure Adventure World, but when it loads up, I get error messages similar to the below.

Runtime Error
Failed to load Plugin c:\users\atoth\Temp\capef32.tmp\20.csx

If I navigate to that directory and change the permissions to give it both Read and Write access, I get a slightly different error message referencing a different temp directory.

Also, any tips on running Steam under WINE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeepty

Re: Running Steam under Wine. Trying to open Treasure Adventure World

Post by Jeepty »

The game looks like it is direct x9, so it may be playable. My understanding is Directx10 and up is iffy on regular old wine.

I would try updating Wine first. The current stable wine is Wine 3.0. That could fix it right there. There have been a lot of fixes since wine 2.0. You may want to search out Play On Linux. Its in your 'software manager' under 'playonlinux', no spaces. POL is an easy way to load games in 'bottles' with different wine versions for each. I used for games like Neverwinter online and Star wars the old republic. I haven't done the following tutorial, but its a place to start. You can download different versions of wine from within Play On Linux. Its a little friendlier than using winetricks and the command line.

https://github.com/mdeguzis/SteamOS-Too ... layOnLinux

Hope you get it running.
Indalecio

Re: Running Steam under Wine. Trying to open Treasure Adventure World

Post by Indalecio »

I actually seem to have Wine 3.0 installed, but when I installed PlayOnLinux, during the Steam Client installation, it installed Wine 1.6 and dependencies. Any ideas?

Return to “Gaming”