Free/libre RPG game Flare: Empyrean Campaign

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Free/libre RPG game Flare: Empyrean Campaign

Post by xenopeek »

Flare is an open source, 2D action RPG licensed under the GPL3 license. Its game play can be likened to the games in the Diablo series. It reached version 1.0 last month and they released the new Flare: Empyrean Campaign game with it. Worth a try if you like such games.

For trailer and screenshots of Flare: Empyrean Campaign see: http://flarerpg.org/index.php/mods/flare-empyrean/. I finished the game for the first time. Took about 7 hours. It was enjoyable :) I'll play this one again.

You can download the game here: http://flarerpg.org/index.php/download/. Pick the "Engine (x86_64) + Game" download. Just unpack and run it.

Note that the ready-to-run download is for Linux Mint 18 or newer 64 bit only. If you're on Linux Mint 17.x, LMDE 2 or on a 32 bit system you can easily build the engine from source with my instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=267232&p=1457035#p1457035
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stormryder

Re: Free/libre RPG game Flare: Empyrean Campaign

Post by stormryder »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am Just unpack and run it.
Doesn't want to run on 17.3 mate:
Any ideas?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For Linux Mint 17.x, LMDE 2 and 32 bit systems you'll have to build the engine from source. Thankfully this is not very hard.

1. As before, download the "Engine (x86_64) + Game" file from http://flarerpg.org/index.php/download/ and extract the archive. At time of this writing that creates the directory flare-v1.02. Open this directory in your file manager and delete the file flare.sh and the directory x86_64 from it.

2. Also download the "Engine source" file and extract that as well. At time of this writing that creates the directory flare-engine-v1.02. Make sure the version number matches with above!

3. In your file manager go into the flare-engine-v1.02 directory and right-click on an empty spot and select to open a terminal here. Or if you're comfortable on the terminal just cd into this directory normally.

4. First run these three commands, one at a time, to refresh your software repositories index and then install the required development tools and libraries from the software repositories:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install build-essential cmake
apt install libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev
Mind that this will ask for your password and you won't see any visual feedback on the terminal as you type a password. Just type it and press Enter.

5. Once all the software is installed, and you're still in the flare-engine-v1.02 directory on the terminal, run these two commands, one at a time, to build the Flare engine from source. Don't miss the <whitespace> <dot> after cmake on the first command!

Code: Select all

cmake .
make
The first command should finish quickly and the final output should be something like "-- Build files have been written to: /home/username/Downloads/flare-engine-v1.02". The second command may take some minutes to complete and finish with "[100%] Built target flare".

6. Once you've finished building the Flare engine go back to the flare-engine-v1.02 directory in your file manager. You should find a file called flare here, about 4,5 MB big. Copy this file to the flare-v1.02 directory. You can now delete the flare-engine-v1.02 directory.

To run the game simply double-click the new flare file in the flare-v1.02 directory. I've tested this on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit but it should work on any Linux Mint 17.x and LMDE 2 edition I think. Enjoy :D
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:17 am For Linux Mint 17.x, LMDE 2 and 32 bit systems you'll have to build the engine from source. Thankfully this is not very hard.
Thanks xenopeek, its good to see this going somewhere. I've tried the version in the manager in the past but its not much more than the engine.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

True. The 1.0 release is a complete game though and I'd say worth the little hassle to compile the engine.
I finished it a second time meanwhile with a different class :lol:

If you've played the development version you'll spot some familiar looking maps if you make it to the Halls of Infinity (optional part of the game). The rest of the game is all new maps as far as I can tell.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Thanks for the heads up Xenopeek. Very enjoyable so far.. :) Now to avoid the temptation to play when I've got work to do.....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Gaming”