Moving PlayOnLinux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rado84

Moving PlayOnLinux

Post by rado84 »

Does anyone know how to move PlayOnLinux on another partition? I can format it to become ext4, if necessary. Currently it's empty and is NTFS. I wanna install some games but I don't wanna fill my Linux partition with games.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Moving PlayOnLinux

Post by kc1di »

as far as I can see, The only way would be to make the other partition your /home partition, because that's where POL looks for and installs it's virtual folders that are used for each program you install on it.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Moving PlayOnLinux

Post by Flemur »

rado84 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 amDoes anyone know how to move PlayOnLinux on another partition? I can format it to become ext4, if necessary. Currently it's empty and is NTFS. I wanna install some games but I don't wanna fill my Linux partition with games.
Probably with links; I don't use playonlinux, but this works for wine (and firefox) and should work for just about any program: making a link.

Code: Select all

$ ls -al | grep wine
lrwxrwxrwx  1 owner owner    16 Mar  8 12:30 .wine -> /mnt/DATA/wine32
To move ~/.wine (which contains all the windows programs and games running under wine) to a different partition, do something like (this shows how to move .wine to a different partition; playonlinux probably has a different main directory):
Starting with default setup and an existing partition (/mnt/DATA/) and a terminal in your home directory:

cp -ax .wine /mnt/DATA/wine32
rm -r  .wine
ln -s /mnt/DATA/wine32 .wine
ls -al | grep wine
You also might be able to do that stuff with a file browser...
I have no idea whether or not playonlinux can use an ntfs partition....safest would probably be (to find out!) to use ext4.

The link is "transparent", IOW you don't really know it's a link unless you look:

$ cd .wine
$ pwd
/home/user/.wine
$ ls 
dosdevices  drive_c	system.reg  user.reg  userdef.reg  winetricks.log
The physical "pwd" is /mnt/DATA/wine32

Edit: if you POL stuff is important, BACK IT UP before moving it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Gaming”