Tau Station: a text-based, science-fiction MMORPG that runs in Firefox

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Tau Station: a text-based, science-fiction MMORPG that runs in Firefox

Post by jameskga »

This is a bit of a departure from the normal tech-support type of threads found in this section, but I'd like to share the only game I currently play on Linux, a game I feel that is really quite good and could be enjoyed by many non-gamers who use Linux Mint, happen to enjoy science fiction, or just want a way to kill time at work.

Tau Station
https://taustation.space/

The game is written in Perl and runs on a JS interface in Firefox without the need for additional plug-ins or software.

There's a global chat room, player-driven economy, interstellar space travel, and the space stations even have true orbits that change the prices of shuttles and shipping depending on positions along their respective orbits. You get a job, and I think you can even buy your own spaceships.

The game is currently in alpha, so it's pretty new, but the community is cool, and the people who play seem pretty smart or well-read. It's a great alpha off to a promising start, and there's plenty to do in-game.

I've watched videos by the game creator and he seems to have a genuine love for Perl and built the game to demonstrate Perl's strengths, and ended up with a full scale MMORPG off the bat.

Tau Station is like a book you can play, but with skills, combat (even some PvP), and trade. And in case you're wondering, you might notice a typo or incidental grammatical anomaly here and there, but the writing is actually strong and quite engaging. You can tell the narrative team cares about their work. It is filled with rich descriptions and authentic characters with believable motivations. I've also noticed it's loaded with references to Heinlein, Blade Runner, Asimov, and of course the cyberpunk mainstays. As an Eve Online player and sci-fi buff myself, I'm just in love with this game.

Give it a try. I'm curious to know what you guys think.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Tau Station: a text-based, science-fiction MMORPG that runs in Firefox

Post by smurphos »

Like it - :D

Plays well on Android Chrome and Desktop Linux Chrome as-well.

Thanks for the heads up.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Tau Station: a text-based, science-fiction MMORPG that runs in Firefox

Post by jameskga »

Cool! I'm really glad to hear that. And yeah, I've played the game on every platform I have, and it seems to run on everything.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there

Return to “Gaming”