Kega Fusion and Bluetooth

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Kega Fusion and Bluetooth

Post by English Invader »

I recently acquired a pair of these speakers:
https://www.kitsound.co.uk/product/spea ... f-speakers

I've been very happy with them and have successfully used them with a range of devices throughout my home but if I try to use KF with a BT connection on my laptop the system just reverts back to the onboard audio despite picking up my speakers for everything else. The speakers pick up KF if I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable but won't do it without a wired connection.

I've looked in the KF ini file and tried changing a couple of things to no avail. Anyone here know of anything I can change either on KF or Mint for me to get a wireless connection for KF?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Kega Fusion and Bluetooth

Post by phd21 »

Hi "English Invader",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

They look like nice bookshelf speakers with 40 watts of power too.

Assuming your laptop's Bluetooth adapter is higher than version 1.x and recognized by Linux, then you should be able to use them. Does your system's Bluetooth discovery see the speakers and can you pair them with your system?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Bluetooth picks the speakers up just fine and picks up the sound for everything else (YouTube, Spotify, DVDs, other emulators) but Kega Fusion (a Sega emulator) is only picked up when I use a cable. The problem is solely with one program and I'm hoping it can be solved with a bit of fine tuning to either Mint or the emulator. This isn't a typical "Linux doesn't like my Bluetooth speakers" query.

One thing to bear in mind is that the last Linux release for KF was in 2009 so it may simply be a matter of KF not having any support for BT but I'm hoping that's not the case. It's also a program that runs completely off a point and click executable without any formal installation just in case that has a bearing.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "English Invader",

Well, that is good news that the Bluetooth speakers work with your Linux Mint system whichever one you are using.

I am not familiar with Kega Fusion (a Sega emulator), but I did find a Linux deb file installer (32-bit) and installed it, but I do not know how to use it? In order to try and help you with this, can you please provide me some instructions? I assume I need to have some game or Sega application file (.rom, .iso, etc...) to run in it, can you provide me a link to the game or app that you are trying to run under this emulator, so that I may try it, and how to install or use it with this emulator?

While running the application, you might be able to just select Sound Settings from the Volume Control or Menu, Applications Tab, and select the Bluetooth source.

Hope this helps ...
This is showing my Audacious music player and the Kega Fusion application which I switched to use my Bluetooth device.
KDE_Bluetooth_SoundSettings_Application1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "English Invader",

Kega Fusion's sound worked perfectly by changing the Linux Mint Sound Settings -> Application Tab and the running Application (Fusion) to use the Bluetooth device (speakers). I did a search for Sega Genesis roms, downloaded a couple, and extracted the zip archive file which had ".bin" rom files, told Kega Fusion to load one, and it works great Bluetooth sound and all... Seems to work from the zip archive files without even extracting them first as well.

Hope this helps ...
KegaFusion1.jpg
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you for your help. I've been trying to install the emulator through dpkg but it doesn't even recognise Fusion as a .deb file (the properties tab describes it as "application/x-executable). I also tried installing it as a .gtk file to no avail. What program did you use?

Edit: I just tried a SNES emulator (SNES9x) that operates off the grid in the same way as KF and the BT worked just as well as the properly installed emulators.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "English Invader",

You are welcome...

I thought you said you already had Kega Fusion installed? I downloaded the Linux deb file from the link below and double-clicked it to install it, and it works perfectly. I noticed there are various "emulators", but from what I read, this one is supposed to work better than the others.

Kega Fusion - Sega Retro
https://segaretro.org/Kega_Fusion#Downloads

Linux deb file - only 32-bit available (but works)
https://retrocdn.net/images/c/ca/Kega-f ... 2_i386.deb

Quick search for Sega Rom files to play in the Fusion emulator and I found these link among others.
Sega Genesis (Sega Mega Drive) ROMs. Free Download - RomsMania.com
https://romsmania.com/roms/sega-genesis

Sega Genesis/SEGA ROMs | LoveROMs.com
https://www.loveroms.com/roms/sega-genesis

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Gaming”