Running old? games in Stable Wine Mint 18.3

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Adraido

Running old? games in Stable Wine Mint 18.3

Post by Adraido »

I'm new here and maybe someone could help me out with the issues I'm having with the latest version of Linux Mint and Wine.

Linux Mint 18.3 64 bit

Kernel 4.15.0-23.

Intel i5 4210

Integrated graphics. No dedicated gpu.

Latest Stable version of Wine 64

I've been able to run these games on Windows just fine but I like Mint better for everything else. Having one OS for everything would of course be great.

I have searched for solutions to these issues and have tried to solve them to the best of my ability but was unable to do so without resorting to unstable versions of Wine (Staging, development or otherwise multitudes of old versions).

Getting games to run could be a hit or a miss, especially when you're trying to minimize the versions of Wine getting installed on your system and want to use the stable version of Wine while avoiding Staging and developmental versions.

So far the games I could list off the top of my head:

GOG games:
------------
Death to Spies series

Race Driver: GRID

Dead Space
===========
Steam
------
(Previously ran perfectly on i3 cpu but slow no longer run at all in same version of Wine on i5)
---------------
Alpha Protocol

Enslaved Odyssey to the West

Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY

Games that currently run but are too much for a integrated gpu to handle:
===================================
GOG
-----
The Solus Project

Steam
----------
Overgrowth

So what I want to be able to do is run whatever games I can on the latest Stable release of Wine.

This info provided with help from Moem:

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: imranm Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 5.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 
  base: Ubuntu Xenial 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC 
  v: 0972110002405F10000620180 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 227F v: 77.35 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.54 date: 10/23/2017 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.8 Wh condition: 30.8/30.8 Wh (100%) 
  model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Unknown 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-4210U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 1 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19156 
  Speed: 2395 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2395 2: 2395 
  3: 2485 4: 2408 
Graphics:
  Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: none 
  unloaded: fbdev,intel,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.8 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:03.0 
  Card-2: Intel 8 Series HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-24-generic 
Network:
  Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.0 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet 
  driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus ID: 09:00.0 
  IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  HDD Total Size: 1.14 TiB used: 867.96 GiB (74.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB 
  size: 698.64 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Hitachi model: HTS545050A7E380 size: 465.76 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Verbatim model: STORE N GO size: 7.47 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 686.63 GiB used: 455.81 GiB (66.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 956.0 MiB used: 35.2 MiB (3.7%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 219 Uptime: 14h 58m Memory: 7.73 GiB used: 2.22 GiB (28.8%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 5.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.3.48 
  inxi: 3.0.13 

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 18.3 and Wine

Post by Pierre »

so, you are running the Latest Stable version of Wine 64 .. .
but, have you got the 32bit dependencies installed ? some games seem to need those . .

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt-get update
type that into Terminal.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Adraido

Post by Adraido »

Thank you for that but it did nothing. I ran Splinter Cell to test out whether anything changed but it's unplayable.

This is what happened when I started the game: The resolution changed and when I pressed the keyboard key that changes it back to desktop resolution I could see the menu well, sort of (see picture).
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I'm a big fan of Playonlinux (which is in the repository) it allows a lot of flexibility in using wine. You can install as many wine version as you need and uninstall the ones you don't without affecting the rest of the system. That being said some games just simply don't play with wine.
and the best alternative may be to run them in a virtual machine with windows installed. such as Virtualbox.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Adraido

Post by Adraido »

kc1di wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 am I'm a big fan of Playonlinux (which is in the repository) it allows a lot of flexibility in using wine. You can install as many wine version as you need and uninstall the ones you don't without affecting the rest of the system. That being said some games just simply don't play with wine.
and the best alternative may be to run them in a virtual machine with windows installed. such as Virtualbox.
good luck.
I've used it before on my last machine and was unable to use it to make a noticeable difference on any of the games I was trying to run. Most of these games ran fine on my last machine with the same version of Wine that I have now. The only difference that I could tell with this one and the last one is the CPU which is an upgrade. So I thought upgrading my system would allow my games to be played a bit better and this is the one I had available. So, I do know these games work but I have no idea what conditions I need to make them work. I have yet to read into virtual machines much but the guide I read on the forum about it (the one that claimed to make dual booting obsolete) was a bit over my head and would honestly take at least a couple hours even when I could understand it. I also think I would need a copy of Windows which I no longer have or could obtain.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

You can I get a free copy of win 7 for virtual box which you just have to reinstall in virtual box every 90 days to keep on going as the license runs out every 90 days. https://syntaxsugar.github.io/posts/201 ... on-ubuntu/
Good luck what ever you decide.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Adraido

Post by Adraido »

kc1di wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 am You can I get a free copy of win 7 for virtual box which you just have to reinstall in virtual box every 90 days to keep on going as the license runs out every 90 days. https://syntaxsugar.github.io/posts/201 ... on-ubuntu/
Good luck what ever you decide.
That's great. Thank you for the help. I'll just see whether I could figure this out with Wine. Maybe messing with graphic drivers will fix the issue or the next version of Wine. These games were running fine in Wine before so I may try using Lutris or even trying Playonlinux again in case it comes to that as a workaround.
Adraido

Re: Running old? games in Stable Wine Mint 18.3

Post by Adraido »

Problem still remains unsolved for the newest Stable release of Wine. Same specifications and system as the original post.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Running old? games in Stable Wine Mint 18.3

Post by rambo919 »

Yeah.... even with cracks the splinter cell games had.... issues when it came to menu's, I'm not surprised this happens. Ubisoft has a habit of using drm schemes that makes their games (either cracked or uncracked) do weird things in general but do they learn? Nope instead of ditching drm they double down on the next terrible scheme and their games get pirated like mad anyway while drm free games keep getting sold.... I should stop this rant....

Return to “Gaming”