SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
Vacio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am
Location: Rep. Dom.

SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by Vacio » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi, does any body know a update way of install SCID_VS_PC in linux mint 19? Iam new and i have try some ways, but fails. i follow this tutorial: http://www.linuxx.eu/2012/11/scid-vs-pc ... buntu.html
Last edited by Moem on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all-caps.

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: SICD_VS_PC, HOW TO INSTALL

Post by ajgringo619 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 pm

That guide is very old (2012). I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

EDIT: it works - here's how I did it:

Code: Select all

download latest version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scidvspc/files/source/scid_vs_pc-4.19.tgz/download
sudo apt install tcl8.6 tcl8.6-dev tk8.6 tk8.6-dev
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh
cd to wherever you downloaded scid_vs_pc-4.19.tgz
tar xzf scid_vs_pc-4.19.tgz
cd scid_vs_pc-4.19
./configure
sudo make install
The program to run is /usr/local/bin/scid (no menu item was created).

EDIT #2: I found a .desktop files, just not where I expected it (I'm on XFCE, so that may be why):

Code: Select all

cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid:scid.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]
Image

User avatar
Vacio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am
Location: Rep. Dom.

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by Vacio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks. this was very useful, I advance, but I have this problems:

when runing: sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh


[ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh]
I get : [ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/tclsh': File exists]

and to: sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh
I get
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/tclsh': File exists

and last, to:
sudo make install

I get:

rm -f ./scid
cat tcl/start.tcl tcl/config.tcl tcl/bitmaps.tcl tcl/language.tcl tcl/utils.tcl tcl/utils/date.tcl tcl/utils/font.tcl tcl/utils/graph.tcl tcl/utils/history.tcl tcl/utils/pane.tcl tcl/utils/sound.tcl tcl/utils/string.tcl tcl/utils/tooltip.tcl tcl/utils/validate.tcl tcl/utils/win.tcl tcl/misc/misc.tcl tcl/htext.tcl tcl/file.tcl tcl/file/finder.tcl tcl/file/bookmark.tcl tcl/file/recent.tcl tcl/file/epd.tcl tcl/file/spellchk.tcl tcl/file/maint.tcl tcl/edit.tcl tcl/game.tcl tcl/game/browser.tcl tcl/windows.tcl tcl/windows/gamelist.tcl tcl/windows/pgn.tcl tcl/windows/book.tcl tcl/windows/comment.tcl tcl/windows/eco.tcl tcl/windows/stats.tcl tcl/windows/tree.tcl tcl/windows/crosstab.tcl tcl/windows/pfinder.tcl tcl/windows/tourney.tcl tcl/windows/switcher.tcl tcl/search/search.tcl tcl/search/board.tcl tcl/search/header.tcl tcl/search/material.tcl tcl/contrib/ezsmtp/ezsmtp.tcl tcl/tools/email.tcl tcl/tools/import.tcl tcl/tools/optable.tcl tcl/tools/preport.tcl tcl/tools/pinfo.tcl tcl/tools/analysis.tcl tcl/tools/comp.tcl tcl/tools/wbdetect.tcl tcl/tools/reper.tcl tcl/tools/graphs.tcl tcl/tools/tablebase.tcl tcl/tools/ptracker.tcl tcl/help/help.tcl tcl/help/tips.tcl tcl/menus.tcl tcl/board.tcl tcl/move.tcl tcl/main.tcl tcl/tools/correspondence.tcl tcl/lang/english.tcl tcl/lang/deutsch.tcl tcl/lang/francais.tcl tcl/lang/italian.tcl tcl/lang/nederlan.tcl tcl/lang/spanish.tcl tcl/lang/portbr.tcl tcl/lang/swedish.tcl tcl/lang/norsk.tcl tcl/lang/polish.tcl tcl/lang/czech.tcl tcl/lang/hungary.tcl tcl/lang/serbian.tcl tcl/lang/russian.tcl tcl/dnd/tkdnd.tcl tcl/dnd/tkdnd_unix.tcl tcl/tools/fics.tcl tcl/tools/uci.tcl tcl/end.tcl tcl/tools/tacgame.tcl tcl/tools/sergame.tcl tcl/tools/calvar.tcl tcl/tools/tactics.tcl tcl/tools/novag.tcl tcl/misc/flags.tcl tcl/tools/inputengine.tcl > ./scid
chmod +x scid
cp scripts/sc_addmove.tcl ./sc_addmove
chmod +x sc_addmove
cp scripts/sc_epgn.tcl ./sc_epgn
chmod +x sc_epgn
cp scripts/sc_spell.tcl ./sc_spell
chmod +x sc_spell
cp scripts/sc_eco.tcl ./sc_eco
chmod +x sc_eco
cp scripts/sc_import.tcl ./sc_import
chmod +x sc_import
cp scripts/sc_remote.tk ./sc_remote
chmod +x sc_remote
cp scripts/sc_tree.tcl ./sc_tree
chmod +x sc_tree
cp scripts/scidpgn.tcl ./scidpgn
chmod +x scidpgn
cp scripts/pgnfix.py ./pgnfix
chmod +x pgnfix
cp scripts/spliteco.tcl ./spliteco
chmod +x spliteco
g++ -fno-rtti -O2 -fno-exceptions -Wall -I/usr/include -o src/pgnscid.o -c src/pgnscid.cpp
make: g++: Command not found
Makefile:408: recipe for target 'src/pgnscid.o' failed
make: *** [src/pgnscid.o] Error 127

I dont know what to do, I am new at this. sorry.

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by ajgringo619 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Vacio wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 pm
Thanks. this was very useful, I advance, but I have this problems:

when runing: sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh


[ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh]
I get : [ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/tclsh': File exists]

and to: sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 /usr/bin/tclsh
I get
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/tclsh': File exists
Don't worry about this; it just means that the link was properly created (for some reason it wasn't on my system).
Vacio wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 pm
and last, to:
sudo make install

I get:

<CUT>

g++ -fno-rtti -O2 -fno-exceptions -Wall -I/usr/include -o src/pgnscid.o -c src/pgnscid.cpp
make: g++: Command not found
Makefile:408: recipe for target 'src/pgnscid.o' failed
make: *** [src/pgnscid.o] Error 127

I dont know what to do, I am new at this. sorry.
Again, no problem. Run 'apt install g++', then try again.
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]
Image

User avatar
Vacio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am
Location: Rep. Dom.

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by Vacio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi again. i believe we are getting closer. now I get this :
$ ./configure
Scid vs. PC configure - Makefile configuration program
Renaming "Makefile" to "Makefile.bak"
Tcl/Tk version: 8.6
Your operating system is: Linux 4.15.0-29-generic
Location of "tcl.h": /usr/include/tcl8.6
Location of "tk.h": /usr/include/tcl8.6
Location of Tcl 8.6 library: not found
Location of Tk 8.6 library: not found
Location of X11 library: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
Checking if your system already has zlib installed: yes.

Not all settings could be determined! See above for details.

The default Makefile was written.
You will need to edit it before you can compile Scid.

hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Downloads/scid_vs_pc-4.9$ sudo make install
g++ -fno-rtti -O2 -fno-exceptions -Wall -I/usr/include -o src/stored.o -c src/stored.cpp
In file included from src/stored.cpp:328:0:
src/tkscid.h:58:10: fatal error: tcl.h: No such file or directory
#include <tcl.h>
^~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Makefile:408: recipe for target 'src/stored.o' failed
make: *** [src/stored.o] Error 1
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Downloads/scid_vs_pc-4.9$

What I understand is that this are missing: Tcl/Tk version: 8.6
Your operating system is: Linux 4.15.0-29-generic
Location of "tcl.h": /usr/include/tcl8.6
Location of "tk.h": /usr/include/tcl8.6
Location of Tcl 8.6 library: not found
Location of Tk 8.6 library: not found
Location of X11 library: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
How can I continue?

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by ajgringo619 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Vacio wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Hi again. i believe we are getting closer. now I get this :
$ ./configure
Scid vs. PC configure - Makefile configuration program
Renaming "Makefile" to "Makefile.bak"
Tcl/Tk version: 8.6
Your operating system is: Linux 4.15.0-29-generic
Location of "tcl.h": /usr/include/tcl8.6
Location of "tk.h": /usr/include/tcl8.6
Location of Tcl 8.6 library: not found
Location of Tk 8.6 library: not found
Location of X11 library: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
Checking if your system already has zlib installed: yes.

Not all settings could be determined! See above for details.

The default Makefile was written.
You will need to edit it before you can compile Scid.

hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Downloads/scid_vs_pc-4.9$

<CUT>
Are you still using the original source you downloaded before? I see above you're using version 4.9; the older versions had compilation bugs, yours being one of them.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scidvs ... z/download
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]
Image

User avatar
Vacio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am
Location: Rep. Dom.

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by Vacio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Many thanks. that was the problem. Just is this. I use the line for make a direct acces at the desktop. and get this:
cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid.desktop ~/local/share/applications
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid.desktop': No such file or directory

BTW. the file is created at the location: usr.

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by ajgringo619 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Vacio wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm
Many thanks. that was the problem. Just is this. I use the line for make a direct acces at the desktop. and get this:
cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid.desktop ~/local/share/applications
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid.desktop': No such file or directory

BTW. the file is created at the location: usr.
You are close: cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid:scid.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]
Image

User avatar
Vacio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am
Location: Rep. Dom.

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by Vacio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi again. I type:
cd Desktop/
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Desktop$ cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid:scid.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Desktop$ cd
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~$ cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid:scid.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~$
in both cases give no feedback so, it works. but I get no icone at the desktop.

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by ajgringo619 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Vacio wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:06 pm
Hi again. I type:
cd Desktop/
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Desktop$ cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid:scid.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~/Desktop$ cd
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~$ cp /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scid:scid.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
hector@hector-Inspiron-N5110:~$
in both cases give no feedback so, it works. but I get no icone at the desktop.
It won't be on the desktop; look in your menu.
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]
Image

User avatar
Vacio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 am
Location: Rep. Dom.

Re: SICD_VS_PC, how to install

Post by Vacio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm

My God, many, many thanks. I have it. thanks a lot.

Post Reply

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”