Game window moves off screen [Solved]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uzi

Game window moves off screen [Solved]

Post by uzi »

Hope someone can help me out. Getting very frustrated.

I am running Mint 18 with Nvidia driver. I cant get games to work in Wine. Tried Playonlinux too & same issue. The games load fine but when I mouse point to scroll right or down the games window moves to reveal desktop. Hope the pic helps to show what I mean.
20180723_155418.jpg
This does not happen in Manjaro or Mageia where the window locks full screen & doesn't move.

Thanks for any pointers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uzi

Re: Game window moves off screen

Post by uzi »

Cant believe this is unique to me. No can suggest anything?

BTW this happens on 2 pc with different Nvidia cards.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this happens quite a lot with nvidia it's not just you. change resolution in the game options. what game is it?
uzi

Post by uzi »

The pic shows Empire Earth 2 but same with other games like Star Hammer The Vanguard Prophecy for example. This seems to be an issue with Wine 1.6.2. Doesn't happen with latest Wine Stable but causes other issues with an app not working.

BTW changing game res doesn't work either.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try wine-stable https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
but delete everything wine installed
some games that do not gave resolution for 1920 monitors is better to run NO fullscreen
uzi

Post by uzi »

First off, thanks for taking the time to try & help but I cant see where you are going with your last reply. My previous reply said
Doesn't happen with latest Wine Stable but causes other issues with an app not working.
I dual booted Mint 19 & ran the Wine scripts to get latest Stable which as I said ran no issue but caused an important app to not work. So as I stand, dual boot Mint 18 for app & 19 for games :(
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

the install scripts are different for 18 and 19, if it's working what's the issue now?
uzi

Post by uzi »

Because my app stops working with Wine 3.0 stable. It works with 1.6 but games dont. Trying to find an answer to having both working but so far no answer. So only option I have it seems is dual boot when I want to play a game. (I did the xenial install on 18 too)
uzi

Re: Game window moves off screen [Solved]

Post by uzi »

Solved.

Not sure where the error was on original try but I reinstalled Playonlinux used wine 3.0.2 stable on Mint 18 & after ages of d/l my games work in it. So app runs on 1.6.2 & games run on POL with 3.0.2

Result 8)

Return to “Gaming”