War Thunder

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Citizen229

War Thunder

Post by Citizen229 »

Anyone playing this title? Seems to run well being native. The cross platform seems to work well. Cant find any obvious consoles to murder.
Last edited by SMG on Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking 4-yr-old topic to prevent new posts.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: War Thunder

Post by powerwagon75 »

My son used to play it regularly without issue until he recently moved out. Far as I could tell it worked very well/looked nice when in play.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
Flagon_15

Post by Flagon_15 »

So, War Thunder works fine on Linux Mint? That's a great thing to hear as I like to play from time to time, and one of the main reasons why I didn't jump straight away was the fear to have to give up on games or invest in a second computer.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Flagon_15 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm So, War Thunder works fine on Linux Mint?....
Yes, through Steam. I just fired it up this morning to let steam and the game update. Still working.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
adnzl

Post by adnzl »

powerwagon75 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:47 pm
Flagon_15 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm So, War Thunder works fine on Linux Mint?....
Yes, through Steam. I just fired it up this morning to let steam and the game update. Still working.
It doesn't need to be through steam. You can also download directly from the official WarThunder Website, although I prefer using the Steam version as logging on is easier =)

The Linux version does have a couple of small graphical anomalies, although apparently if your running the latest Nvidia drivers (396 and above I believe) (not the ones available by default to us) then at least one of the more major ones apparently disappears, which is an annoying ground shadow on certain maps that's hard to describe in words.
bossbob88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bossbob88 »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Linux Mint, previously I used Ubuntu. I really fell in love with Cinnamon, I guess no explanation is needed why!

I would like to ask for anybody's help!!!
War Thunder had a big Update recently, where they updated the game engine. It runs under Vulkan now instead of OpenGL 3. Performance is almost the same as on windows, almost 100% more FPS compared to OpnGL :D :D :D :D

The problem is, that it gives a plain black screen on Linux Mint Cinnamon. The issue is described thoroughly on the War Thunder forum here:
https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php? ... very-time/

Current status:
  • Since the update, War Thunder goes black if it's the active window. If I alt+tab out to another window, the contents of the War Thunder window are visible.
  • I installed a fresh Gnome session and the game works fine.
  • First I thought, the issue might be with X11/xOrg, so I checked it with Gnome under xOrg, but the game runs there well too.
  • If I install Awsome Window Manager, which runs on X11, the game runs well.
So there must be something with Cinnamon DE or Mutter (Muffin) window manager, since it runs well on Gnome+Mutter and on Awsome WM+Mutter Muffin .

Any help is highly appreciated.
bossbob88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bossbob88 »

You can ignore my previous comment!!!

The developer updated the game, obviously the issue was at their end.
War thunder runs now buttery smooth on my system (i5-4690+RX480) and Cinnamon Desktop and with the new update and offical Vulkan support I have the same performance as on windows!!!! 8)

Return to “Gaming”