Windows to linux.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sham[]WoW[]Guy

Windows to linux.

Post by Sham[]WoW[]Guy »

Hey guys,

I am some what new to Linux and I am wanting to switch from Windows 10 to Mint for gaming. I have my entire Steam library installed on 3 different HDD, non of them being the C drive. I am wanting to keep all my games untouched to be able to play them when I do switch, without having to re-download them (for the most part.) Is this something Wine or any other compatibility layer can do, or do I just have to copy all my config/save files on a usb and reinstall all my games?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows to linux.

Post by jimallyn »

I'm not a gamer, but I believe you will probably want to download and install the Linux versions from Steam. Some of the Windows versions will probably run in Wine, likely some will not. The games that do run, you may find they aren't as fast in Wine as in native Windows or as fast as the Linux versions running in Linux. There are several helpers for those wishing to play Windows games on Linux, one of the most popular is PlayOnLinux. Ordinarily you can only have one version of Wine installed at a time, but PlayOnLinux allows you to have several installed. You will probably need that because some Windows programs will run fine in one Wine version, but maybe not at all in another. There is also WineTricks, which has ways of installing some things that don't usually want to run on Linux. There's another program for Linux gamers that I just read about recently that apparently manages all sorts of games on Linux, but not being a gamer, I don't recall the name of it. Somebody here will probably know. A lot of gamers keep a Windows install just for playing games, and use Linux for all their serious stuff.

Oh, there are some people who will tell you that Wine is useless. I disagree. There are a bunch of programs that will run in Wine, and a bunch that won't. It's not all we would like it to be, but it is far from useless.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

P.S. Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!

P.P.S. I found that other game thing I was thinking of. It's Lutris. I know pretty much nothing about it, but it sounds useful for gamers. Find it here:

https://lutris.net/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
darsh

Post by darsh »

I use Steam on Linux Mint 19. I have relatively extensively used Steam to game on Windows 7, Windows 10, Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 19.

Here's what you do:

Go to your Steam library on your Linux system, press Install on any of the Linux-compatible games that you want.

Then you can indeed select the install location as either your Linux computer or an external Hard Drive.

If you install them on an external drive, the games will let you click 'Play' on them, in Steam, automatically, as long as that device is plugged in.

You must have the Linux install version of your game to run that game on Linux. The Windows install versions of those games, your Windows install version copy of your games for running on Windows won't run on Linux. And vice-versa.

At least 22 of my games that I have in my Steam library run on Linux (I use Linux Mint 19 64-bit Cinnamon currently). Quite a few popular titles, especially newer titles. When you click 'Library' in Steam while on Linux, it should tell you which of your games have Linux downloadability. When you go to purchase a game, it'll show you in the 'Requirements' section (if you scroll down to it) if they have a Linux OS option. You can also make Linux a search property when searching for games in the Store.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Something I noticed is with ports sometimes the windows version has mostly the same files but the capitalization differs.... making moving over and verifying a annoying procedure of detectivework. WHY no one can just start releasing the asset and bin parts seperately I dunno even GoG has separate complete packages which for server load if nothing else makes no sense.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

You can also install the windows version of steam with wine. Some games Steam sees your running Linux and won't let you install them but if you install the windows version through wine it somehow spoofs steam to think your running windows.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

One more option is to run Windows on Linux using VGA passthrough. Performance-wise this might be the best option, if you get the configuration right.

It means running Windows as a virtual machine (VM) on Linux using kvm. However, the setup can be a little more demanding than just installing some packages. It has also certain hardware requirements. However, today with Linux Mint 19 and Windows 10 it has become a lot easier.

I'm planing to write a new guide using the virt-manager GUI, but for now there is the (often simpler) guide using a start script. See this thread for more:

HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using kvm VGA passthrough
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/

Return to “Gaming”