Terrible FPS on Counter Strike:GO

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Terrible FPS on Counter Strike:GO

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit.

On Linux Mint 18.x I always got FPS over 100 even with all the video settings on high but since installing Linux Mint 19 I can't get FPS over 50 even with all the video settings on low. It make the game near on impossible to play.

I have a NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti], albeit my processor is rubbish at the moment until I upgrade it at Christmas but I don't think that's that issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I'm on the 390 driver as recommended, is there anything else I can do until the driver is fixed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Terrible FPS on Counter Strike:GO

Post by rene »

Wait for someone running Mint 19 or using Nvidia if this doesn't provide you with an immediate idea as to solution (i.e., check settings) but I would expect you are at the moment synchronized to monitor refresh rate whereas you didn't use to be; VSync. This is more or less needed for tear-avoidance on for example video and I do believe I have seen Mint 19 / Nvidia specific issues with it come by here on the forum.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try a different kernel. which kernel on 18 and 19 are you using?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Thanks both for your replies,

VSync was already off and so was motion blur.

I'm currently on kernel 4.15.0-30-generic, can't remember what kernel I was on with Linux Mint 18, I had a big clean out of all my kernels just after installing Mint 19 so I only have 4.15.0.x installed, was the latest one though.

I'll try a different kernel and see if that changes anything.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I believe I read about new Nvidia Linux drivers having some regressions and leading to sub-par performance. Could it be that with Linux 18.x you had an older driver?

Another thing: Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

Watch the top CPU intensive tasks and see if there are any Xorg, compiz or other display related widgets that consume CPU resources. I turned of some widgets and switched to Metacity due to Marco / compiz etc. being a little power hungry.

However, I doubt the last step will greatly improve the frame rate, but perhaps it helps a little.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
glasforex

Post by glasforex »

Hardware:
CPU AMD RYZEN 2700X
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
MEM: 8GB DDR4 3466MHZ HYPERX
SSD: M2 SAMSUNG EVO 960
Monitor: Benq Zowie XL2540 240Hz

Linux Mint 19 64-bit
Nvidia driver: 390.48

Works perfect! in fact it works even better that on windows 10 pro in certain aspects. The alt+tab switch is lightning fast in fullscreen mode. The frames are consistent. The overall experience is excelent. To bad steam does not support all games.

Check video. Is not much but... maybe someone here can recomand me a better capturing software for cs:go. thx.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhNAw0Vem1s&t=210s
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

There's been a few updates lately and had one today for the microcode and I think there was a driver one the other day, back up to 60fps which at least makes the game playable, still not the same level it was before but has been smooth enough.

Return to “Gaming”