Steam now lets you play Windows games on Linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gm10

Re: Steam now lets you play Windows games on Linux

Post by gm10 »

MintBean wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:25 pm
gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:43 pm(doubt it, people were already using Wine, but who knows, it's certainly more convenient now):
Biiig difference between attempting to configure Wine and 'click and go.' Let's hope it does make the difference.
Yes, exactly. Although for the few non-whitelisted games I tried I still had to apply the usual tweaks and workarounds to get the games working so it's not quite that trivial. Still, the new system ensures that Steam tracks the games you play that way whereas the old way didn't necessarily do that, so that alone should make a difference to their stats. And let's face it, Steam usage stats on Steam are so low, the only way is up. :)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Well, those stats you posted earlier indicate a fairly significant increase .. in the cases of Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04 it seems the share has gone from 0 straight to its present value. It'll be interesting to see what the next one shows. :)

I still haven't found my original disks so probably won't be able to install them without those licence keys, unfortunately. Would be great to see if they'll run though. (Probably not very well on my present hardware, TBH).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BG405 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:30 am Well, those stats you posted earlier indicate a fairly significant increase .. in the cases of Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04 it seems the share has gone from 0 straight to its present value.
That's because those are not 16.04 and 18.04 but 16.04.5 and 18.04.1, so unfortunately this happens whenever Ubuntu updates.

And it's just the monthly stats, with Linux overall usage so low that it tends to fluctuate quite a lot, so those +10% really mean nothing. Overall usage used to be more in the past actually. If anything the stats tell us that Linux users enjoy the summer sun more than Windows users (yes, you can make statistics mean anything :lol:).
jmcginley

Post by jmcginley »

Rock Ingersol wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:26 pm Games seem to be working fine with just the 390 drivers though I have only tested two so far with one being The Witcher 3. The screen tearing though in Cinnamon is horrible. I didn't know Cinnamon was still having issues with tearing otherwise I would have stuck with Mate. Sounds like next release of Cinnamon will address this on desktop at least but not sure about games.
I had some horrendous graphic issues on Mass Effect 1 using the 390 drivers, strange for an old game to struggle but installing the 396 drivers seemed to do the trick. I imagine this will be an isolated issue but keeping the drivers up to date will give Proton the best chance of getting the games to work.

On a separate note i'd like to know if anyone has been brave enough to purchase a new release eg. Tomb Raider or at least has purchased it on a dual boot and tried it through Linux as well?

I'm not entirely confident about purchasing 'Windows' games in the hope that they might work or i'l have to find work around to get them to work, i know Steam has a reasonable refund policy so I probably wouldn't lose out if i took the gamble anyway.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Just keep a timer running when trying any games. To be eligible for refund the purchase has to have been made in the past 2 weeks and you can't have more than 2 hours (120 minutes) of playtime.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg »

I find it much less able to run games than PlayOnLinux + newest version of Wine.

Out of 3 games that worked on steam installed on Wine that I tried so far, all 3 can't be played and crash.
Rock Ingersol

Post by Rock Ingersol »

jmcginley wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:02 pm
Rock Ingersol wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:26 pm Games seem to be working fine with just the 390 drivers though I have only tested two so far with one being The Witcher 3. The screen tearing though in Cinnamon is horrible. I didn't know Cinnamon was still having issues with tearing otherwise I would have stuck with Mate. Sounds like next release of Cinnamon will address this on desktop at least but not sure about games.
I had some horrendous graphic issues on Mass Effect 1 using the 390 drivers, strange for an old game to struggle but installing the 396 drivers seemed to do the trick. I imagine this will be an isolated issue but keeping the drivers up to date will give Proton the best chance of getting the games to work.

On a separate note i'd like to know if anyone has been brave enough to purchase a new release eg. Tomb Raider or at least has purchased it on a dual boot and tried it through Linux as well?

I'm not entirely confident about purchasing 'Windows' games in the hope that they might work or i'l have to find work around to get them to work, i know Steam has a reasonable refund policy so I probably wouldn't lose out if i took the gamble anyway.
I had graphic issues as well with water and some npc's but didn't notice that till later in the game. I've only bought one windows only game since Proton was released and only did so because it was on sale. I won't be buying any other windows only games until I am more confident with Proton and/or the game has a nice discount.
MintBean wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:23 pm Not really. From what I read they're just going to unlock the frame limiting to decrease the perception of lag between mouse and window movement. Working vsync is what's needed.
I am sad to hear that. I spent months researching Linux before deciding what distro to use and how to setup partitions etc. Decided on Linux Mint when I made the jump from Windows. Recently though I switched from Mate to Cinnamon not realizing that the later suffered from screen tearing. I hope a working vsync is in the works if not it looks like I might go back to Mate.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Rock,

Sounds like there may be some good news here that has landed since I commented. In the blog, under the heading 'Cinnamon' there is an update that looks like it might genuinely fix screen tearing.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/
T_Characht3r

Post by T_Characht3r »

Thanks for the update! that's good to know!

Return to “Gaming”