Trying to install steam to different disk + use firejail

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shima-pan

Trying to install steam to different disk + use firejail

Post by shima-pan »

Hi, so I found this guide http://jorisvr.nl/article/steam-firejail-debian on using steam with firejail, which seems simple enough. My problem is I need to install it to a different HDD because my SSD is small. I know you can change steam's directory for games but I am assuming that running firejail with --private it will not be able to locate directories outside of its box..

So I guess my question is how I should go about this? Is there some command in firejail I can use to allow it access to only one folder on seperate HDD, or would it make more sense to just install the whole package to something like HDD/steam and run it from there with firejail? If so how would I point firejail to programs on another disk?

This stuff might be obvious to other people but this is all still quite new to me so I could really use some help :? Thanks for reading
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jschandi

Re: Trying to install steam to different disk + use firejail

Post by jschandi »

Hi.
First things first, your HDD has to be either ext4 or ntfs. (This won't work for fat32.)

The procedure is simple enough. Just use the --private option for firejail to point to the HDD directory.

1. Make the directory in the HDD.
2. Run the firejail command with the --private=PATH-TO-DIRECTORY-IN-HDD
3. Run the commands as stated on the webpage.

I followed the procedure on a pendrive with no errors.

Hope you get it running.
Happy gaming.

Return to “Gaming”