Hi all Steam cache server question.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Martsmac

Hi all Steam cache server question.

Post by Martsmac »

So I recently setup a steam cache server on my Linux mint box using this guide:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/ ... h-blues/2/

But the part where they say :

A strong word of warning
Do not—repeat not—do any of this on a computer with ports 80 or 53 accessible to the Internet. If you’re insane or crazy and you keep your gaming PC set as your router’s DMZ host, for the love of God, don’t run these Docker images on your gaming PC. And also get your gaming PC out of the DMZ and configure port forwarding properly, because the only reason to leave a gaming PC as the DMZ host is laziness—find and fix the underlying issue!

:Has me kind if concerned , should I be? And if so how do I fix it?

Thanks

Martin
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hi all Steam cache server question.

Post by catweazel »

Martsmac wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 am :Has me kind if concerned , should I be? And if so how do I fix it?
Long story: Yes if your router is misconfigured and opens those ports. It can't affect linux without special commands because ports below 1024 are protected. As the article says, you need to properly configure your DMZ and port forwarding.

Short story: If in doubt, don't.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Gaming”