What happened to play on linux?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
concrete

What happened to play on linux?

Post by concrete »

It used to work, not it gives me errors before I even select the file to install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What happened to play on linux?

Post by Moem »

Hello, can you please post the result of the following terminal command, and enclose it in code tags? That's the button marked </>.
This is needed for pretty much any question about your system, so it's a good habit to post it straight away.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Also what are the errors you are getting?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
concrete

Post by concrete »

It's not the hardware. Something is definitely up with POL as I had it working on this hardware with MINT 19. I reinstalled the OS to see if I could correct some errors. But ever since then, no matter how many times I reinstall the OS, POL still does not work. And never before this have I gotten errors before even selecting the file to use and install.

OH! It keeps telling me that WINE seems to have crashed. Maybe the wine servers are corrupted?

How do you uninstall POL and WINE and the gecko and other things that install when you install wine in POL and when you install a game in POL? How do you completely uninstall the whole POL mess, and actually uninstall it so that when you reinstall it it isn't reverting back to the same old instillation?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

POL is working fine here so it's something in your install.
I suspect it's something to do with the fact that the system install of wine no longer includes 32 bit abilities. you have to also install wine32 separately from wine.
Try this in POL go to tool tab select manage wine version and install a different wine version up to 3.x something then try to install a program using the newer wine version. good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
concrete

Post by concrete »

I have wine in both 32 and 64 and both are 3.14... Last time I had to install Longest Journey using 32 bit... so this makes no sense. Why would they show at 32 bit option if it doesn't work?
concrete

Post by concrete »

Nope, the 64 bit version fails too. Before I even get the chance to select the file to use.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so - what program are you trying to Run ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
concrete

Post by concrete »

Any program. None work because it gives me errors before I even select the file. And then more error after I select the file. It never even goes through instillation process.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

at this point I'd try to purge POL

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge playonlinux
Then remove any pol folder in your home folder.
and reinstall POL. then add newer wine and try again.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
concrete

Post by concrete »

But I had the newest wine.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I couldn't help but chime in on this thread.

concrete, Moem has asked you to provide information on your system. As of yet, you have not because you dismissed it.

Then kc1di gave you the command to purge POL, then asked you to reinstall. As of yet, you have not.

Are you here for help or just to complain that POL isn't working for you?

:roll:
concrete

Post by concrete »

The hardware is not the problem. Worked fine in the past.

Doing the purge, even with the auto remove thing done, did nothing. (I will note that it would be nice to have an option that actually removes the entire installed program and all tangent programs... because even the purge and autoremove thing didn't remove wine... I tried removing wine and reinstalling and that did nothing. It didn't reinstall the mono and gecko and whatnot stuff) Everything still malfunctions the same way. I have even tried reinstalling the OS and using different sources. There is something wrong with the latest POL and WINE downloads. It used to work. But something has clearly corrupted the download server.

And what is most odd, is that the WINE errors start before I even get to choose the file.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

concrete wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:11 amThe hardware is not the problem. Worked fine in the past.
I'd guess that everyone agrees that it's not a hardware problem since nobody else mentioned hardware.
Doing the purge, even with the auto remove thing done, did nothing.
It didn't remove any software? That's odd.
Everything still malfunctions the same way.
What way is that?
I have even tried reinstalling the OS and using different sources. There is something wrong with the latest POL and WINE downloads. It used to work. But something has clearly corrupted the download server.
And yet the programs work for other people.
And what is most odd, is that the WINE errors start before I even get to choose the file.
What errors are those? What, for example, is "the file"? What is in "the file" that you're attempting to choose? How are you choosing "the file"? Do the wine errors start when you think about choosing "the file"? If so, turn off the telepathy option.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
concrete

Post by concrete »

Flemur wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:17 pm
concrete wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:11 amThe hardware is not the problem. Worked fine in the past.
I'd guess that everyone agrees that it's not a hardware problem since nobody else mentioned hardware.
Doing the purge, even with the auto remove thing done, did nothing.
It didn't remove any software? That's odd.
Everything still malfunctions the same way.
What way is that?
I have even tried reinstalling the OS and using different sources. There is something wrong with the latest POL and WINE downloads. It used to work. But something has clearly corrupted the download server.
And yet the programs work for other people.
What errors are those? What, for example, is "the file"? What is in "the file" that you're attempting to choose? How are you choosing "the file"? Do the wine errors start when you think about choosing "the file"? If so, turn off the telepathy option.
1)ok

2) it removed some of the POL instillation, but not all of it. None of the errors changed.

3) I start getting "Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed
If your program is running, just ignore this message" right after I select the version of wine. And I downloaded the latest versions of wine. 64 or 32 doesn't matter. I have to hit "next" on the error window twice, apparently there are two error windows, before it moves to the next window where I select the file to run. I get another "Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed
If your program is running, just ignore this message" after selecting the program file and hitting the next button. Then I get a screen that says "Press next only when the instillation process has finished"... which is impossible since the instillation process never starts. The screen that should pop up when installing a game never shows.

And then, when I hit next again, I get a fatal error "Error in POL_SetupWindow_shortcut_creator
Prefix : /home/a/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/LongestJourner does not exist"

even though it clearly does exist...

I have never had this issue with POL before. I have had issues, but none this bad. And it happens even after reinstalling the entire OS.

4) And yet they used to work for me yet all the sudden stopped. "other people" probably aren't using the latest downloads of POL and WINE.

5) Um, seriously. Have you ever used POL? The errors start after choosing the version of wine, and I am choosing the latest versions of wine that were just downloaded. After you choose the version of wine, it ask you what exe file you want to use, and so you select it, then more errors occur just as described in #3.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

concrete wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:11 am ... (I will note that it would be nice to have an option that actually removes the entire installed program and all tangent programs...
There is an option to do complete removals of packages in Synaptic Package Manager. If a complete removal affects other packages, it will remove them as well.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

How am I the only one that knows this? Somewhere during LM18.x I noticed that a large number of POL scripts became outdated. The crashing is the result of POL expecting certain libraries that simply are not available any more combined with it's wine versions behaving differently now compared to how they did when the scripts were written.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

rambo919 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:00 pm How am I the only one that knows this?
:?:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

JerryF wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 am
I'm guessing POL hasn't worked for some time and almost all users save two from this thread are hallucinating that they're still successfully using it?
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

JerryF wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 am
My guess would be, most users don't bother with the scripts and just do a manual install.

Return to “Gaming”