Minecraft launcher crashes on Linux Mint 19 Xfce

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tlimlam

Minecraft launcher crashes on Linux Mint 19 Xfce

Post by tlimlam »

Hello all,

Totally new to Linux, I am esperately looking for help, seems I tried to loo, everywhere on Google.
After performing installation of Xcfe, I successfully installed Minecraft after installing Java 8 Oracle, srupulously following uberdorf's great videoa on the topic.
After Minecraft launcher opens (1.6.89-j), I clic down to "Play Demo". and the laucher switches off, and then reopens displaying a crash message ("Uhoh, it looks like the game has crashed! etc."
Would someone know what happend? I got a huge crash report, a launcheer log, etc.

Thanks a million
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Minecraft launcher crashes on Linux Mint 19 Xfce

Post by HaveaMint »

I don't have a "play demo" option, perhaps since it is Microsoft owned now it is trying to open Internet Explorer and crashing.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

tlimlam wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 am Hello all,

Totally new to Linux, I am esperately looking for help, seems I tried to loo, everywhere on Google.
After performing installation of Xcfe, I successfully installed Minecraft after installing Java 8 Oracle, srupulously following uberdorf's great videoa on the topic.
After Minecraft launcher opens (1.6.89-j), I clic down to "Play Demo". and the laucher switches off, and then reopens displaying a crash message ("Uhoh, it looks like the game has crashed! etc."
Would someone know what happend? I got a huge crash report, a launcheer log, etc.

Thanks a million
I just searched on the demo trial, this is a new thing from mojang/microsoft. I would recommend paying the $25 US and you will have hours/years of enjoyment from it. What version of xfce are you using?
tlimlam

Post by tlimlam »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am using Linux Mint 19 Xfce 4.12.3.
I thought about it, and switching to user mode, but I am thinking I would not want to pay 25 if I eventually cannot play it...
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

tlimlam wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:49 pm Hi, thanks for the reply. I am using Linux Mint 19 Xfce 4.12.3.
I thought about it, and switching to user mode, but I am thinking I would not want to pay 25 if I eventually cannot play it...
There will be a lot of upset people if microsoft ever drops the java version which I don't think they ever will. I had to switch from openjdk10 to vers 8 but I have never tried oricle's version. Did you remove openjdk 10 before installing your current version?
jdk.png
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I haven't tried Mint 19 XFCE yet, but I think HavaAMint is on the right track. OpenJDK 10 does not seem to work with minecraft from what I have tried, and if you install the minecraft launcher from the Mint software center then it seems to reinstall OpenJDK 10 if I remember right. You can check which version of java is default by entering the command in the terminal

Code: Select all

java -version
Would you copy and paste the result of the command into a response for us? The solution might be as simple as resetting the default java. If the java installation was the webupd8 method (I think that is what I used in the video) from http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install- ... a-ppa.html , then this command should fix the problem.
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default

Return to “Gaming”