Baldur's Gate [SOLVED]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scottyo

Baldur's Gate [SOLVED]

Post by scottyo »

I just bought Baldur's gate from GOG and cannot get this thing to run.

It added the icons to the desktop and the only one that runs is the Settings app. The full screen and windowed version of the game does nothing when I try and boot.

I installed a few items line WINE and PLAYONLINUX and GEMRB and still no luck.

I am running LM 19 if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Dying to play, havent played this since 1999.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Baldur's Gate

Post by ajgringo619 »

Greatest. Game. Ever!!! Did you buy the native Linux version or the Windows version? From everything I'm reading, it's been tested (and working) on Mint 17. Check this link for system requirements: https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Assuming they bought Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, they can download it for Linux, Windows and macOS without limitation. It works on Linux Mint 17.x, 18.x and 19.x.

I have it on Steam instead so can't comment on GOG's version. I'd suggest to see what the exec command in the desktop launcher is, and run that command from a terminal manually (.desktop files are just text files; you can open text editor xed and then open the .desktop file in that). Likely it will give some error output there.
scottyo

Post by scottyo »

I have the native linux version xxxx.sh file. I installed it no problem, it just wont launch for me.

and i agree, it is the best game ever!!

The system requirements are Works on:
Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04) . I am assume Mint 19 is OK.

My laptop is more than enough to run this game as well.

This is the only thing that can boot from 1 of the 3 programs installed
https://i.imgur.com/hv8wv0t.png
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Check that the executable files the launchers are supposed to run are actually executable and as xenopeek has suggested try launching them via terminal and see if there is any error output.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
scottyo

Post by scottyo »

smurphos wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:32 am Check that the executable files the launchers are supposed to run are actually executable and as xenopeek has suggested try launching them via terminal and see if there is any error output.
I figured it out after some DuckandGo searching ;-)

Please see attachment. Looks like there is some error maybe with the WINE or some other issue.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I thought you were running the native Linux version not the Windows version via Wine?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Why not download the Linux version? Buying on GOG gets you access to downloads for all platforms.
scottyo

Post by scottyo »

Doh, refund on the way. Will start over and update. For now this is solved. Thanks for everyone's help. I am still quite a newbie when it comes to linux as I have only been on the platform for <1 year.
Scotty O

Return to “Gaming”