Help please with my minecraft.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BillTDY

Help please with my minecraft.

Post by BillTDY »

I've read most of the MC posts here. They come close to my issue but not quite there.
My install is the latest Mint cinn 19 Tara. Fresh install. Heck I'll do another in a heart beat if needed.
Issue is that the game plays flawlessly on each machine. As long as I am connected to the internet. If I try to play not connected in the offline mode, it fails. I'll post a screen grab of the fault codes ect as soon as I can. This is regardless of using the launcher or the jar file. Only since I did the fresh install of Tara.

Right this second I am doing a fresh install of Sarah, on a spare hdd, to take it back to the last known functional install that worked for me.

Any ideas? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neuron67

Re: Help please with my minecraft.

Post by Neuron67 »

Which Minecraft installer did you use? Which Java version?
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Installer is latest installer provided.

Java file 1.13 . Tried 1.12 because had it in storage and when it connects it updates and when trying in offline mode it fails.

Also tried jre jdk 8 as well. Not that it doesn't play. It plays fine. Unless I try to play off line.Only when in offline mode. I am going to put that hdd back into the machine and do a screen shot of the issue. Be back shortly.
Neuron67

Post by Neuron67 »

Oracle JDK8 seems to be the only version that worked for me. You also need to set it as the default otherwise, Minecraft will use whichever version was there first. I have a couple of links I can send you for instruction if you want them.
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

All right. Here is a screen shot of the fault.

It goes thru everything fine until I click play off line. At that time it runs thru it's functions and I get this screen. This is using launcher 1.6.89-j and MC 1.13.2 .

The pic is screen shot of the error. The whole screen capture was to big a file. But it gets the info.
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Neuron67 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:07 pm Oracle JDK8 seems to be the only version that worked for me. You also need to set it as the default otherwise, Minecraft will use whichever version was there first. I have a couple of links I can send you for instruction if you want them.
Yea. Tried and have 8 in the system. Game plays fine. UNLESS trying to play in offline mode. Only faults in offline mode.
Neuron67

Post by Neuron67 »

If you're using the launcher that is in the software manager by default, it doesn't work. The Minecraft.deb installer is what you want. You can download it from the Minecraft.net website. Save it to your downloads, make sure Oracle JDK8 is set to the default java version and then run the Minecraft.deb installer by right-clicking and selecting open with java8.
Neuron67

Post by Neuron67 »

If you already have Java8 installed and you don't know how to set it as default, open the terminal and type

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default

hope this helps you
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Neuron67 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:31 pm If you're using the launcher that is in the software manager by default, it doesn't work. The Minecraft.deb installer is what you want. You can download it from the Minecraft.net website. Save it to your downloads, make sure Oracle JDK8 is set to the default java version and then run the Minecraft.deb installer by right-clicking and selecting open with java8.
Ok. Nope. Still does not work. The game functions fine when starting connected to internet. But will not play when started not connected to internet.
I have java 8 selected. I have used the deb selected file from MC site itself. Same effect as when using the one provided thru Synaptic. And yes I removed the synaptic provided one first. Yes uninstalled java 10 or 11 or what ever it is now.
So here we are. Game is functional in Tara while connected to internet. Not functional when not connected. Same error message.
Neuron67

Post by Neuron67 »

When you open the menu and go to the games menu, does it have "Minecraft Launcher" listed there or just "Minecraft"?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi BillTDY,

Read this post below...
Minecraft was, unfortunately, the last straw :-( - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?p=1562919#p1562919

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Neuron67 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm When you open the menu and go to the games menu, does it have "Minecraft Launcher" listed there or just "Minecraft"?
Both. Same result either way.
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

phd21 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:07 pm Hi BillTDY,

Read this post below...
Minecraft was, unfortunately, the last straw :-( - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?p=1562919#p1562919

Hope this helps ...
Thank you. I have. And actually retrying the suggestions in terminal as I reply here. But no love yet.
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Understand. I love my Mint. Left microcrap years ago and only have it on the wifes machine. Which I am on right now.
Last edited by BillTDY on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Worse case I'll just finish the reinstall of Sara and drive on for a few months. I know it worked offline then.
Neuron67

Post by Neuron67 »

You should only have "Minecraft Launcher" listed. Uninstall the other and you might have to open the "Files" folder and delete the ".minecraft" folder. Then reinstall Minecraft.deb.

Please note; I am not a dev. I am just another Linux user and a new one at that. Just trying to lend a hand to a fellow user.

Here's what I typed into the terminal to get the right Minecraft installer;
curl https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.deb > Minecraft.deb; apt install ./Minecraft.deb

Here's a link to the Youtube video that shows how to get Oracle JDK8 and how to set it as default;

https://youtu.be/tbaDU1l3Onk
BillTDY

Post by BillTDY »

Ok. No worries. I just reinstalled Sara. All is fine until 2021!!! I swapped out the hdds and put Tara on the shelf for now.
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

Hi, I am trying to reproduce the problem on my LM 19 partition. How are you going offline? Through the icon at the bottom right of the LM desktop? By pulling out the ethernet cable? Through the launcher?
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I reproduced the problem I think by turning off my wireless in the bottom right. Apparently this is a bug reported in July of 2018 for the current java launcher 1.6.89j in linux and apparently Mac also. It does not appear to me that this launcher will be fixed, but there is a beta launcher that I am trying now.
https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-9704
I am surprised that the launcher in Sara works offline since Microsoft/Mojang "deprecated" the portion used for offline mode in the current launcher.
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I just verified that the beta launcher I just linked to in my prior post, https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-9704 works on Minecraft 1.13.2 on LM 19 Cinnamon when the computer is disconnected from the internet.

Return to “Gaming”