Can we play gta 5 in linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hemanand

Can we play gta 5 in linux

Post by hemanand »

How can I play the 5 in mint
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can we play gta 5 in linux

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Does this video help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31gxbBut1zM

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
JoseLagasse

Post by JoseLagasse »

GTA 5 is my favorite game to play. I know that this game can only be played on the PC, PS or xbox. I am sure that this game can not be played on the linux.
Well, you can prefer other platform too to play this game.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JoseLagasse wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 am I am sure that this game can not be played on the linux.
Then maybe you should watch the video posted above.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JoseLagasse

Post by JoseLagasse »

Oh yes, I accept this is my mistake.
SuperBoby

Post by SuperBoby »

Well, thanks Steam ! They are currently in the process of eliminating the very last reason that keeps a Windows OS on my gaming computer :P
NevyNeverKnowsBest

Post by NevyNeverKnowsBest »

The beauty of Linux, my friend, is that you can try anything. Try to install it, try to run it, and try to document everything for other users to learn from. WINE is going to be your main tool. From there, its really just trial and error. Google can point in the right direction and I'm sure there are guides/tutorials on the matter.
ericmike

Post by ericmike »

Yes, but you would need a pretty powerful computer, and some knowledge of wine. To start, you’ll need a computer that is better than the minimum requirements for windows, because wine will slow the game down a bit*, so you need to make up for that. Second, you need to install wine on your computer. After that, you need to google “GTA 5 winehq” which will provide instructions for configuring a wine prefix. These instructions will allow you to overcome errors that would occur in a clean wine prefix. After configuring your wine prefix, find the installation exe, and install using wine. After that, you should be all set.

*Wine is a compatibility layer, that will be converting the games code to the necessary code for the OS on the fly, and this will cause slow down, so it’s important to be a bit above the minimum requirements to be able to counteract the slowdown as best as you can.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Why would you want to? I couldn't think of any system I would rather play it on than my XBox 360. Pre-configured install that takes minutes for fully optimised graphics and sound v hours of tinkering for inevitable lagging, bugs and system crashes. Hmm, let me think...

Don't get me wrong. I like Wine and spent the best part of a year on a personal mission to prove that Linux was better for running old PC games than Windows because it's more configurable and, for the most part, I was successful. I ran pretty much everything I wanted and most of the games that didn't run posed the same problems on Windows anyway. Need for Speed 2: SE and the original retail version of POD are the ones I'm most proud of.

But I found contemporary AAA games a waste of time; they either didn't run at all or ran so badly that it wasn't fun to play them. In the end, I invested in a 360 to run all the games my Linux desktop couldn't handle and it stepped into that role flawlessly.

Return to “Gaming”