How to play Twitch Minecraft modpacks on Linux - The easy way

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Maestro Yisu
Level 1
Level 1

How to play Twitch Minecraft modpacks on Linux - The easy way

Post by Maestro Yisu »

Hello there. This is my second topic. Here's a short guide on how to play Twitch Minecraft modpacks on linux.
As you might know, the Twitch app that offers this feature is only avaiable for Windows users.
But their modpacks are not exclusive, and can be played in any platform that supports the java edition of Minecraft.
Now, we're going to do it the easy way; We'll use the CurseForge website and the MultiMC launcher.

STEP 1
Since the Twitch app actually gets the modpack from the Minecraft Curseforge, the first thing we're gonna do is to go to their website, more specifically to their modpacks section: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/modpacks

If you're searching for a specific modpack, you can use the search bar:

STEP 2
After you pick a modpack, just click on it. A general overview with its description will be there. Below the name and the thumbnail of the modpack, you'll see a bar that contains a "Files" element. We're clicking there:

STEP 3
Now, click the latest file from the list (The one at the top), and on the next page, click the "Download" button. Save the ZIP file somewhere you'll remember later

STEP 4
You'll have to download the MultiMC launcher from https://multimc.org/. Scroll down until you see the Downloads section. There, you can pick the appropiate package (For Mint, the Ubuntu .deb file works just fine)

STEP 5
Once you get into the launcher, click "Add Instance" in the top bar
STEP 6
A new window will open. Here, you'll first pick "Import from ZIP" on the left bar; Then, you'll click "Browse" and select the ZIP file you downloaded before. Finally, click "OK"

STEP 7
MultiMC will start downloading all the modpack files. Once it finishes, go to the main window, click the modpack and click on "Launch" at the right bar

STEP 8
Now, it will prompt you to put your Mojang account credentials. After you write them down and click "OK", your account will be automatically linked to the launcher, and after a few Minecraft library download, you'll be ready to play your modpack.

It may be a little harder than using the Twitch client, but it's also better. Even in Windows, the launcher works much better, and offers much more features.

I hope this was useful. Thank you

PS: I had to remove the [img] tags since it didn't let me use it. All the pictures can be seen by clicking the imgur links Now they work, thanks smurphos :)
Last edited by Maestro Yisu on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to play Twitch Minecraft modpacks on Linux - The easy way

Post by smurphos »

Maestro Yisu wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 am
PS: I had to remove the [img] tags since it didn't let me use it. All the pictures can be seen by clicking the imgur links
[rimg] tags should work.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Maestro Yisu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maestro Yisu »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:24 am
Maestro Yisu wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 am
PS: I had to remove the [img] tags since it didn't let me use it. All the pictures can be seen by clicking the imgur links
[rimg] tags should work.
With this tag some pictures work just fine, but most won't be allowed since they're more than 480px high.
Guess I'll resize them later and re-upload them.
Thanks

I was still using the previous tag. now that I replaced all of them, the pictures work just fine.

Thank you!
Gebonimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gebonimo »

Does it gives you better performance than using the FTB launcher ?

I'll give it a try tonight.
Linux Mint 19
Gebonimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gebonimo »

Sorry for double post.

Multi-MC is very good, it has better performances than using the FTB launcher.

But I have an issue, I don't know if it's related to Multi-MC but probably since I didnt have it with the FTB one. I'm using azerty keyboard and the number bar is always seen with &é"'(-è not with 12345. i've tried to change my keyboard config in Mint, but nothing change. I'm still looking to find a solution :)
Linux Mint 19
modimod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by modimod »

Hi, I'm trying to launch the modpack but it gives me this error.:

Code: Select all

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launchWithMainClass(OneSixLauncher.java:196)
	at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launch(OneSixLauncher.java:231)
	at org.multimc.EntryPoint.listen(EntryPoint.java:143)
	at org.multimc.EntryPoint.main(EntryPoint.java:34)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: class jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader cannot be cast to class java.net.URLClassLoader (jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader and java.net.URLClassLoader are in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.<init>(Launch.java:34)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
	... 8 more
Exiting with -1
Process exited with code 255.
TimTheInsane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimTheInsane »

modimod wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:15 am

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launchWithMainClass(OneSixLauncher.java:196)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: class jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader cannot be cast to class java.net.URLClassLoader (jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader and java.net.URLClassLoader are in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
	... 8 more
Exiting with -1
You need to increase the amount of memory allocated to the modpack. Go to Settings > Java > Maximum Memory Allocation. It's at 1024mb by default. If it's an intensive modpack it needs to be set higher. I typically set it above 7gb. I'd imagine 4gb is acceptable.
Before
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Before »

Thank you so much. This guide is a lifesaver! <3 :mrgreen: :D :D
hellohellohello
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hellohellohello »

TimTheInsane wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm
modimod wrote:

... 8 more
Exiting with -1
You need to increase the amount of memory allocated to the modpack. Go to Settings > Java > Maximum Memory Allocation. It's at 1024mb by default. If it's an intensive modpack it needs to be set higher. I typically set it above 7gb. I'd imagine 4gb is acceptable.
I tried that but i still get the same error. Even after restarting multimc. Is there something else i can do?
jbradj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbradj »

hellohellohello wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:18 pm
TimTheInsane wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm
modimod wrote:

... 8 more
Exiting with -1
I tried that but i still get the same error. Even after restarting multimc. Is there something else i can do?
I am having the EXACT same issue. I have been fighting with it for two days now. I've tried FTB launch, different java versions and pretty much anything you can think of. Does anyone have a solution? I might end up giving up linux because I can't get this to work. I got every other one of my requirements to work but I can't get past this error.
Wyrden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wyrden »

I had the same problem and fixed it by not installing the Java version from CLI but getting the newest 1.8 version from the Oracle website. https://www.java.com/en/download/help/l ... nstall.xml
itscassieyeet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by itscassieyeet »

on 6th step, can't find the files. they're .jar
LinuxLoverr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxLoverr »

I am on the 5th step and couldn't move further. What is my error? I hope to find it here :D

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”