Has PlayOnLinux Died?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NevyNeverKnowsBest

Has PlayOnLinux Died?

Post by NevyNeverKnowsBest »

There has been very little (if any) development for POL. This used to be my go-to compatibility layer tool for my Windows apps and programs. I knew POL 5 was in the works, but its been in development now for a very long time. The current version is still 4.3.4, which if I'm not mistaken, has been the current version for well over a year now. Granted, I understand this isn't their forum here, but I can't help but to ask; have they quit the project? Is POL in its final stages?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Has PlayOnLinux Died?

Post by JoeFootball »

NevyNeverKnowsBest wrote:...but I can't help but to ask; have they quit the project? Is POL in its final stages?
Looks like they're working on version 5.0 now. There was a post on it last month (January 2019).

Joe
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I suppose it would be too much to hope for, that TurboTax would run on PlayOnLinux 5 :o

that is the major reason, that I am holding onto my Win7 desktop and refusing to allow it to update to Win10.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Do you still need to install a tax application in the USA, for filing your tax data to the IRS? In The Netherlands, the internal revenue service has created a cloud app for that, years ago... All you need for that is a web browser (any modern web browser).
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 am Do you still need to install a tax application in the USA, for filing your tax data to the IRS? In The Netherlands, the internal revenue service has created a cloud app for that, years ago...
I refuse to use Cloud apps.
and yes, they offer that, but I will not allow my data to be 'in the clouds'
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

In New Zealand most people don't have to file a tax return as the tax department already knows your earnings, etc. They send you a letter telling you what they think your tax should be and if you agree then you do nothing otherwise you can submit a return with amended details.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
NevyNeverKnowsBest

Post by NevyNeverKnowsBest »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am
NevyNeverKnowsBest wrote:...but I can't help but to ask; have they quit the project? Is POL in its final stages?
Looks like they're working on version 5.0 now. There was a post on it last month (January 2019).

Joe
I did not see this, so it is in active development after all. This is relieving, despite the slow progress. I remember when PCSX2 slowed down like this and gave us all a scare, too.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

murray wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 pm In New Zealand most people don't have to file a tax return as the tax department already knows your earnings, etc. They send you a letter telling you what they think your tax should be and if you agree then you do nothing otherwise you can submit a return with amended details.
It's the same in Britain if you are employed. However the self-employed like me have to file a tax return every year, preferably on-line. One of the most vital functions of my computer is to generate the data required for that return from my business spreadsheets. That in turn is why I never use cloud storage; all data and backups are held by me alone.
Cliff Coggin
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

In the US, just about everyone has to file at least 2 tax returns-- federal and state. There are a very small number of states that don't have a personal income tax. If you have very low income (something like less than 12,000) then you don't have to file the federal. But, a lot of those people do file a tax return because they actually get paid money instead of being taxed (and that's the only way that they would actually receive their money).
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Since Lutris is a game platform, how does it work with Windows applications that are not games?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I personally use Intuit's web-based Turbotax and have done for many years now. It works like a champ.

Oh, and Florida is one of those states with no personal income tax. Or personal property tax.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Australian Tax Office spent millions in porting it's eTax program to the Mac platform,
& only to dump them both in favour of it's on-line solution, that can be accessed from an web based browser.

you still need to use it every year, even it's just to generate the letter, that says that you won't file any return.
:?

that PoL does seem to be working, still, and does still have some useful programs, still supported.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

Here is US tax software for Linux
http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/
Not sure how good it is.

Return to “Gaming”