[SOLVED] Need a good Scrabble Game

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
V1T4MiN_

[SOLVED] Need a good Scrabble Game

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

Hi, I'm switching my mom to Linux because Windows 7 support is ending by the end of the year, She has agreed to use Linux Mint after sampling a lot of distros, But one issue still remains....... She NEEDS a good Scrabble game offline and user-friendly!
I'm serious, This is a huge issue for her, If there are no good native Linux scrabble games can someone recommend the best one from dos so I can set up a Dos box version of Scrabble?
Thanks & Regards
V1T4MiN
Last edited by V1T4MiN_ on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Need a good Scrabble Game

Post by trytip »

you know, just because support is ending doesn't mean the OS will die if you turn it on past the EOL. i have windows 7 and this thing about support ending doesn't make me inclined to do anything.

if you want to switch her to linux it's one thing, but the sky is not falling and using windows after support is ended will not turn your children into donkeys.

Scrabble3D-x86_64.deb

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scrabble/files/
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I know nothing about it, but doing a quick search brought up pyscrabble.
trytip wrote:
you know, just because support is ending doesn't mean the OS will die if you turn it on past the EOL.
True, but if the computer is going to be connected to the internet, it is best to switch to an OS that is not yet EOL.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi V1T4MiN_

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

PyScrabble is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) but it wants users to register on an online server?

FYI: There are various versions of Scrabble 3D (64-bit deb or 32-bit deb) and QT versions
Scrabble3D - Browse /Main_Program/Linux at SourceForge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/scrabb ... ram/Linux/

Rules:Composition - Scrabble3D Manual
http://scrabble.sourceforge.net/wiki/in ... omposition
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
V1T4MiN_

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

Schultz wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 pm I know nothing about it, but doing a quick search brought up pyscrabble.
trytip wrote:
you know, just because support is ending doesn't mean the OS will die if you turn it on past the EOL.
True, but if the computer is going to be connected to the internet, it is best to switch to an OS that is not yet EOL.
Yeah, I know that it won't die when it gets turned on at the stroke of midnight on the day it goes into EOL, It is our main computer for our plethora of bills and services so it is connected to the internet quite oftan, She chose to switch to Linux because she thinks that M$ WILL kill her computer, She still thinks they killed her old WinXP computer, It was the power supply and the HDD........... I think? *illuminati theme*
Anyway, I have looked up pyscrabble before and it is a very buggy and just all around bad piece of software, I will try scrabble 3D Though, It may just do the trick :D
Regards V1T4MiN
V1T4MiN_

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

No Dice, She says Scrabble 3D is not user-friendly and the CPU is too hard (Not that she is stupid by any meaning of the word, but she mainly uses Scrabble to relax with a stupid easy CPU when she is tired or stressed)
This is the exact one she has.
Should I just bite the bullet and install wine? or is there another way to get an Easy user-friendly native or dos based scrabble game?
Pls, send help!
Regards V1T4MiN
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi V1T4MiN_,

Maybe one of these?
Eliot wrote:Eliot - An Open Source software for playing Scrabble
https://www.nongnu.org/eliot/en/index.html
*** Need to download a dictionary in the language you want from the link.

To install Eliot Scrabble using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ipkiss-0/ppa-eliot

sudo apt update

sudo apt install eliot
Golden Scrabble wrote:Golden Scrabble - linux-apps.com
https://www.linux-apps.com/p/1250307/
Download link
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gscrab ... z/download
Save the archive file, right-click it to extract it, get into their folder, open a console terminal in their folder and run

sudo bash install
ScrabbleAI wrote:GitHub - apikler/ScrabbleAI: A Scrabble game for Linux against an AI opponent
https://github.com/apikler/ScrabbleAI
- install dependencies

sudo apt install libgtk2-perl libgnome2-canvas-perl git

git clone https://github.com/apikler/ScrabbleAI.git

cd ScrabbleAI

perl scrabbleai.pl
* Note - you can create a new desktop shortcut to this folder and command.
linux + scrabble - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?ei=GJONXM ... axZyin0430

Hope this helps ...
scrabble_Eliot1.jpg
scrabble_Eliot2.jpg
scrabble_Golden1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
V1T4MiN_

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

Ok cool, I will try some of these on her!
Thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi V1T4MiN_,

You are welcome...

I just updated my last reply with installation instructions, etc...

I installed Eliot and provided some screenshots.

I installed Golden Scrabble and changed some preferences to English and its updating the dictionary... Added screenshot to my previous reply. I think your Mom or anyone else would like this one.

I installed ScrabbleAI and it seems easy to use and good as well.

And, there is also the entire Linux "Steam" Gaming system with "Proton" that can install and play Linux and MS Windows games which I am pretty sure also has free and paid for Scrabble games.

Hope this helps ...
ScrabbleAI-1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
V1T4MiN_

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

Thank you phd23! Eliot has satisfied her scrabble appetite!
A message from my mom "Thank you all so much! Thank you for being so sweet and helpful, if you all where closer I would give you cookies!"
Thanks for all the help! (and trust me, if you are cookie worthy by my mom standards..... well just put that next to any trophies you may have..... lol :D )
Cheers
V1T4MiN
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

V1T4MiN_ wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 am A message from my mom "Thank you all so much! Thank you for being so sweet and helpful, if you all where closer I would give you cookies!"
Thanks for all the help! (and trust me, if you are cookie worthy by my mom standards..... well just put that next to any trophies you may have..... lol :D )
That's so kind and sweet :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi V1T4MiN_

You and your Mom are very welcome...

I love good cookies too :)

You might install the other ones to let her try those as well. I updated my last replies with more info and screenshots...
Steam_Scrabble.jpg
V1T4MiN_

Re: [SOLVED] Need a good Scrabble Game

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

Thanks! I think she has taken a liking to Eliot, Now it went from "Good" to "I really like this"
She is now saying "They can have the recipe if they really want the cookies"
lol
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi V1T4MiN_,

You are both welcome again...

That's really great she likes Eliot Scrabble. It seems like a very good Scrabble game.

You can certainly post any good recipes for anything here in the forum or PM me with it? LOL :D
V1T4MiN_

Post by V1T4MiN_ »

I will update this post with a link to the cookie recipe once it's up in the Open chat board (Just wanted to try and keep this thread on topic for future use)

Cookie recipe link: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=290355

Return to “Gaming”