Steam and CSGO doubts

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vvv511
Level 1
Level 1

Steam and CSGO doubts

Post by vvv511 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:33 am

I want some advices from someone who has already installed Steam and CSGO in Linux Mint, first should I install Steam from the package manager or directly through their website? From what I remember Steam used to have a lot of updates so maybe they will take longer if I install from Mint repos, and also how easy is it to install CSGO? Is it the same process as in Windows? I appreciate any help, thanks.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Steam and CSGO doubts

Post by gm10 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:59 am

Steam will be downloading the latest version to your user profile either way, so install the loader from the repository.

Regarding CSGO, I have never played that game myself, but I can see that it has a Linux version, so there's nothing particular to consider, you just click to play the game and it'll download and install same as on Windows.

If you ever want to play Windows-only titles, then there's an option called Steam Play which you can enable in Steam's settings and which will install a compatibility layer called Proton, which is based on Wine, and here results can be mixed, depending on the type of game (e.g. games with anti-cheat tech typically do not work).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

vvv511
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vvv511 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Ok thanks gm10.

Qurcus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Qurcus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:59 pm

I've been running CSGO under Proton because i have Windows games installed in Steam as well. CSGO will show up both in Proton version of Steam and Linux version of Steam and you can run CSGO either way.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”