Valve announces that Steam is officially dropping support for Ubuntu due to lack of 32-bit support in 19.10

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WickedFlick
Level 1
Level 1

Valve announces that Steam is officially dropping support for Ubuntu due to lack of 32-bit support in 19.10

Post by WickedFlick » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:10 am

A Valve employee, Pierre-Loup Griffais, dropped a bombshell on twitter tonight, which you can see here.

Apparently the talks between Ubuntu and Valve to resolve the issue of Ubuntu 19.10 removing 32-bit library/Multiarch support have fallen through, as they are officially no longer supporting Ubuntu or recommending it to their users moving forward. They're now exploring new distros to adopt in its place.

It looks like at least 1 developer at Canonical, Alan Pope (AKA, Popey), was trying to hastily raise awareness of the issues an average user would face without 32-bit support, showing that most games from GOG (Good Old Games) would no longer function on Ubuntu 19.10, making it appear as though the rest of the devs at Canonical did absolutely no testing at all before deciding to drop support. Unfortunately it was too little too late...

Before this, the WINE devs were considering dropping support for 19.10 entirely. With the news that Valve will no longer support Ubuntu, any chance of them utilizing the Steam Runtime, as one of them suggested, have vanished. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go through with the decision to discontinue support for Ubuntu as well.

From what I can tell, this has some serious ramifications for Linux Mint. Unless Canonical backtrack on this issue, Mint will also lose Steam, GOG, and WINE/Proton support when Ubuntu 18.04 and Mint 19 reach EoL.

System76 seemed to have tentatively indicated that they will continue to support 32-bit libraries in Pop!_OS even if Ubuntu does not. Would this make for a good candidate to re-base Mint on?

I suppose there's always LMDE to fall back on. From what I understand, this is just the sort of scenario it was created for.

What do you all make of these new developments?

grady_vuckovic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Valve announces that Steam is officially dropping support for Ubuntu due to lack of 32-bit support in 19.10

Post by grady_vuckovic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 am

I think the fallout from this decision is going to be massive for the Linux desktop space and especially Linux gaming.

It's just simply not as easy as snapping your fingers and making all 32bit software in existence disappear. It could be another 10 years before all that software is gone out of existence. I think the best move to make from here is to just ditch Ubuntu as a base for Linux Mint, and focus on LMDE. But that's going to take some time I imagine for the devs to switch the focus.

I also think the Linux Mint team would do well to consider reaching out to Valve. Valve is now in the market as it were, distro hopping on a large scale, and looking for a new distro to make their primary recommendation. The Linux Mint team could get some fantastic support from Valve, and work with them, to make Linux Mint a distro for Valve to confidently recommend to users, and that would give a huge boost to the number of Linux Mint users.

Turin231
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Valve announces that Steam is officially dropping support for Ubuntu due to lack of 32-bit support in 19.10

Post by Turin231 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:06 am

I would say that Mint should piggyback or even cooperate with PoP_OS. Ubuntu for the dekstop has created a great based for new, casual users that other distros do not provide yet. Ubuntu are too short-sighted to see that but its the truth of the matter.

Also indeed the Mint people should reach out to Valve, GOG and CodeWeavers. I would love to see Mint or Pop_OS to become the default supported Dekstop Ubuntu-based OS since these guys are actually Dekstop focused unlike canonical.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:50 am

Turin231 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:06 am
Also indeed the Mint people should reach out to Valve, GOG and CodeWeavers. I would love to see Mint or Pop_OS to become the default supported Dekstop Ubuntu-based OS since these guys are actually Dekstop focused unlike canonical.
Doesn't this mean more work for Mint developers for LM 20 and later since LM 20 wil be based on Ubuntu 20.04 and its non-i386/32bit repositories.?
Seems, lately many Linux distro developers are averse to more workload.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:08 pm

grady_vuckovic wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 am
I think the fallout from this decision is going to be massive for the Linux desktop space and especially Linux gaming.

It's just simply not as easy as snapping your fingers and making all 32bit software in existence disappear. It could be another 10 years before all that software is gone out of existence. I think the best move to make from here is to just ditch Ubuntu as a base for Linux Mint, and focus on LMDE. But that's going to take some time I imagine for the devs to switch the focus.

I also think the Linux Mint team would do well to consider reaching out to Valve. Valve is now in the market as it were, distro hopping on a large scale, and looking for a new distro to make their primary recommendation. The Linux Mint team could get some fantastic support from Valve, and work with them, to make Linux Mint a distro for Valve to confidently recommend to users, and that would give a huge boost to the number of Linux Mint users.
MX is a perfect example LMDE could follow. They have testing repo for newer software, and are able to keep a big selection of popular software running on a Debian Stable base.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Whilst grady_vuckovic's suggestion does have a lot of merit. michael louwe does give us the perspective of such a suggestion. Who knows, the Mint Devs might jump at the prospect, but, it will be a quantum shift.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 am

lsemmens wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Whilst grady_vuckovic's suggestion does have a lot of merit. michael louwe does give us the perspective of such a suggestion. Who knows, the Mint Devs might jump at the prospect, but, it will be a quantum shift.
LM 19.3 will be coming out in Nov 2019. Thereafter Mint developers will start work on LM 20 for a May 2020 release and so will then have to decide whether to follow 64bit Ubuntu 20.04's cessation of support for all legacy 32bit/i386 software, ie to remove or retain all 32bit/i386 libraries from its repositories. To retain them will require more work by the Mint developers henceforth = unlikely to happen since they have Debian-based LMDE to fall back on for continued support for legacy 32bit/i386 software.
....... So, an announcement to this effect by the Mint team should come at around Dec 2019 or even earlier.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 am

This will be BAD. Really BAD for our community. Once we lose the gamers, it is going to end up as only the server and those who hate MS/Apple. I game on Linux and if Steam is not available, I will be forced to game on Windows. I won't leave Linux, but there are probably many who will. And the attitude of "F" them, let them go!" just reinforces the stereotype that we as a community are just elitist geeks. confused was Canonical thinking? That they are Apple and the world will follow them? It isn't going to happen.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am

grady_vuckovic wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 am

+1000 I could not agree more.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:51 am

Is Ubuntu NOT Dropping 32-bit App Support After All?

A leading Ubuntu developer has said it is “simply not the case” that Ubuntu will drop support for running 32-bit applications in Ubuntu 19.10 and subsequent editions.

[...]

...writing on Ubuntu Discourse Langasek appears to row back on the indication that 32-bit libraries will be removed wholesale in the ‘Eoan Ermine’:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/is- ... untu%21%29

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Clem's reaction (21 June 2019); ....... https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3751#comment-149639 = 64bit LM 20 will likely come with some support for popular 32bit/i386 software.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 am

This doesn't impact Linux Mint until development cycle of Linux Mint 20 next year. Clem has already commented they'll do what they can to make important 32-bit programs work on Linux Mint 20: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3751#comment-149639. Right now is way too early to start worrying for Linux Mint 20; let the dust settle on the announcement, there's no impact till at earliest Linux Mint 20 mid next year though Linux Mint 19.x can keep running till mid 2023. To avoid discussion about the same in multiple places, locking this topic. For further discussion please join viewtopic.php?f=61&t=296292.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”