'Abuse' game

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

'Abuse' game

Post by MarkTheMorose » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 am

Didn't the game Abuse used to be in the repository? I'm sure I remember it being there in years past, and think I may have installed it one time, but never played it.

It would be nice to know if a native Linux version can still be installed without having to flounder and fail at compiling from source code.
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 'Abuse' game

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 am

I searched the repositories but there's no abuse packages available in there now. This page has some relevant information: https://libregamewiki.org/FRaBs. I edited your post before reading that page. To be clear, there is a freeware licensed Abuse version for DOS that you may indeed use in DOSBox. You didn't link to any such but to be clear to others, you can't link to "abandonware" websites here. I don't know if you can still get this to work one way or another.

MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkTheMorose » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks, it's the freeware version I have. It runs fine under DOSbox as it happens, no need to configure anything. Thanks for the link to FRaBs, I'll check that out.

Prospective players of Abuse / FRaBs may want to bear in mind the low resolution of 320x200 is intentional in the supplied official levels; while you can select higher resolutions, it lets you see areas of the game map sooner than you would otherwise, and can spoil the 'surprise'. Extra fan-made levels are available, I understand, and these may be designed with higher resolutions in mind.

Seems like a fun platform/shooter, though said to be overly hard in places!

(I'm still convinced it used to be in the repository, though; maybe its licensing confusion got it removed?)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm

There used to be abuse packages in the repository, yes. If you search for "abuse" here http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ you can find three of them. I don't know which is which. abuse-sdl is probably the one you want; it has releases from 2011 the other two have releases from much longer ago. You could download and try to install a .deb file. If it can't be installed because it depends on some other package or version of a package that is no longer available, the installer will tell you so. Otherwise it might install but might still not run considering age. You may have to provide some game data files yourself.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”