Stutter when moving mouse ingame

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
akarin
Level 1
Level 1

Stutter when moving mouse ingame

Post by akarin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi. I'm using steamplay with proton to test out a few games particularly old ones. I've played Hitman, Doom 3 and Fallout New Vegas without much problems. But some games just stutter heavily as soon as I move my mouse (Max Payne, all GTA's, S.T.A.L.K.E.R ....)

Games seem to work perfectly fine if I don't use my mouse. Even on menus the issue makes my computer stop for 3 or 4 seconds. I tried updating graphics drivers and kernel. I'm using Linux Mint 19 Mate 64-bit, I7 7700, 8gb ram, SSD and integrated graphics card IntelHd.

These types of games work 100% on windows with max specs, but on Linux Mint it's no use to lower resolution or choose minimum graphics settings because the problem persists. I've also tried different proton versions.

From protondb people didn't seem to have the same issue as me in these games.

Qurcus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stutter when moving mouse ingame

Post by Qurcus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:45 pm

I had the same problem with the original Max Payne installed from CD under the latest version of Wine. I have a Logitech gaming mouse but Logitech doesn't have Linux drivers which are apparently kept in the mouse now and not on OS itself. I used a Windows computer to update the drivers in the mouse and then it started working properly with Max Payne. At least that's what i believe fixed the problem. I also installed a Nvidia 1030 Graphics card about the same time so that may have been what fixed the issue. Anyway, it's a place to start if you have gaming mouse.

Qurcus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stutter when moving mouse ingame

Post by Qurcus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Two other things. I have one game that will not work with Compiz. When i switch Desktop settings to Marco + Compton the game works normally. I have a bunch of old pc disc games that i run in Wine. Some of the games i can start from the desktop (disk) exe. file. Some of the games i have to start in the .wine folder exe. file. None of the them are the same as to how they start when a disk is required to play the game.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”