What is your gaming resolution?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

What is your gaming resolution?

Post by MurphCID » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am

What is your normal gaming resolution? Ultra High, Very High, High, Medium, etc? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2E1FY6TlPk

ugly
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by ugly » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am

I've been at 1920x1080 for a while.

It's tempting to go higher, but that involves a big investment. Even fairly modern games run well on an old AMD HD7850, which is the only thing in my system I haven't upgraded in the last few years. To go to a higher resolution, I'd need to invest in a new video card (which I plan to do soon, but is still looking like $200+ the way prices have been).

And also invest in a new monitor. From what I've seen there is no real consensus on a good monitor. I think the technology isn't quite there yet to find a good balance between colour quality, high resolution, and refresh rate. So, even if I do get a new video card, I expect I'll be gaming at 1920x1080 for a while.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by catweazel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 am

MurphCID wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am
What is your normal gaming resolution? Ultra High, Very High, High, Medium, etc? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2E1FY6TlPk
7680x2160
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Yakima, Washington

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by smgordon1259 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:04 am

The highest possible without issues.
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by HaveaMint » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm

catweazel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 am
MurphCID wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am
What is your normal gaming resolution? Ultra High, Very High, High, Medium, etc? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2E1FY6TlPk
7680x2160
Is this how you get your exercise running around to see all of your monitor? lol
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by MurphCID » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Granted I have two 2560x1440 monitors and run my 1060 gtx at medium/high resolution.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by catweazel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:43 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm
catweazel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 am
MurphCID wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am
What is your normal gaming resolution? Ultra High, Very High, High, Medium, etc? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2E1FY6TlPk
7680x2160
Is this how you get your exercise running around to see all of your monitor? lol
lol - one for each eye. Check out the difference... I'll set the right-hand monitor to 1920x1080 and post a piccy.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by catweazel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:51 am

Image

The image on the right is a full 28 inches wide.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
Shadow in Fire
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 am

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by Shadow in Fire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 pm

ugly wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am
It's tempting to go higher, but that involves a big investment. Even fairly modern games run well on an old AMD HD7850, which is the only thing in my system I haven't upgraded in the last few years. To go to a higher resolution, I'd need to invest in a new video card (which I plan to do soon, but is still looking like $200+ the way prices have been).
Try sticking with the RX series for now. I got a Radeon RX 460 that I paid sixty dollars for, and it puts all the legacy crap I've used to shame. Most of my machines are from the late 2000s through the early 2010s, also...

ugly
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by ugly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am

Shadow in Fire wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 pm
ugly wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am
It's tempting to go higher, but that involves a big investment. Even fairly modern games run well on an old AMD HD7850, which is the only thing in my system I haven't upgraded in the last few years. To go to a higher resolution, I'd need to invest in a new video card (which I plan to do soon, but is still looking like $200+ the way prices have been).
Try sticking with the RX series for now. I got a Radeon RX 460 that I paid sixty dollars for, and it puts all the legacy crap I've used to shame. Most of my machines are from the late 2000s through the early 2010s, also...
I was hoping the new Navi cards would be a good option. But it looks like they're still a bit new for Linux. I was kind of looking at something from the RX580 line. I'd like to see prices drop a bit more if I'm going to go for something that isn't the latest generation anymore.

Unfortunately, my gaming PC died on my a few weeks ago. I've been waiting weeks for a new motherboard. Right now I'm gaming on a fanless Zotac ZBOX with an integrated Intel video processor. So gaming has been pretty limited for me for a while.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by catweazel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 am

ugly wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am
I was hoping the new Navi cards would be a good option. But it looks like they're still a bit new for Linux.
There's support in the newly released kernel 5.3 for the Radeon RX 5700 Navi series.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

ugly
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: What is your gaming resolution?

Post by ugly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:51 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 am
ugly wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 am
I was hoping the new Navi cards would be a good option. But it looks like they're still a bit new for Linux.
There's support in the newly released kernel 5.3 for the Radeon RX 5700 Navi series.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for reports on how well it's working. Ideally (although probably unlikely) prices will come down a bit too with a bit of patience.

Post Reply

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”