Emulating Retro Platforms

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
handsomegenius
Level 1
Level 1

Emulating Retro Platforms

Post by handsomegenius » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:52 am

Hi,

Just curious if anyone here is emulating old computing platforms on Mint to play games.

I realise that DOS gaming is popular.. as are classic consoles.. but what about the Amiga, Archimedes, Atari home computers.. or even the Apple II or the Spectrum or even more obscure?

What emulators are you using, how well does it work?

Also, what games do you like? Which ones have really stood the test of time?

BG04PF
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Emulating Retro Platforms

Post by BG04PF » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:10 am

Hi

For retrogaming I advise you retroarch

https://www.retroarch.com/

It's completely free and ut Can emulate lots and lots of consoles

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:46 pm

I installed RetroPie on my LM machine and it works pretty well. Don't be fooled into thinking that it's only for Raspberry Pi's. It uses RetroArch for the actual emulators and EmulationStation to provide a nice front-end launcher.
Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

handsomegenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by handsomegenius » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 pm

I've got Retropie running on a Raspberry Pi.. it's great for old console games.

I wasn't exactly looking for advice about what to do though... I was more wanting to open up a conversation to see where other Mint users have gone with this.. it's especially interesting if it's a bit odd :)

Shadow in Fire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadow in Fire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:11 pm

I like using the standalone emulators. I'd say RetroArch and the like would just add more bloat.

Snes9x, FCEUX, Kega Fusion, ePSXe, PCSX2, VisualBoyAdvance, and MAME are what I use for emulation.

Mednafen is perfect for anyone who wants a non-graphical emulator that spans MULTIPLE consoles, from PC-FX to PlayStation. If you must need a GUI to go along with it, Mednaffe should be useful.

But, if you have a gaming rig, all Super Nintendo, Nintendo, and Game Boy Advance (that includes Game Boy and Game Boy Color) emulation is miles superior, thus closer to the actual systems, when you use Higan.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 pm

Higan, and MAME here.
Plays all the games I want such as Defender, pac man, moon cresta, galaxian, R-Type, galaga, a bunch of Mario's.

Note on space invaders, no longer works in MAME version 0.195 (the one for Mint 19)
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

guythp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guythp » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:04 am

murray wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:46 pm
I installed RetroPie on my LM machine and it works pretty well. Don't be fooled into thinking that it's only for Raspberry Pi's. It uses RetroArch for the actual emulators and EmulationStation to provide a nice front-end launcher.
Sorry to thread crash but thanks for the recommendation. I'd been looking for ages for a way to play 8/16bit console games using a GUI (I'm lazy!) and this works perfectly on my aging laptop (apart from some screen-tearing when scrolling, but that's just my laptop; higan struggled to run anything at full speed). I don't know why I didn't think of this as I also have a pi with retropie on it :roll:

Whilst installing it also gave me an idea about compiling which i'd never done before (at least, using the command line to run a script? I think that's what it was).
Anyway, I'm happy so thank you.

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:49 pm

guythp wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:04 am
Anyway, I'm happy so thank you.
You're welcome!
Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”