[SOLVED] Wine,diablo 2 and VGA help plz?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cybernetic

[SOLVED] Wine,diablo 2 and VGA help plz?

Post by Cybernetic »

Hello to all,i hope you are doing well!

What i did so far to be able to play diablo 2:

I installed playonlinux but it doesn't help much cuz it has older wine versions in it,i did that before i installed wine!
After installing playonlinux I've downloaded and install WINE through our software manager,i currently have wine version 4.0.Then i noticed that playonlinux has older versions in it,so i removed it ,but reinstall it later after i had some trouble with wine,in which i will explain.
I was able to run and install diablo 2 with Wine cuz it seems that to be able to pass the eula and press accept in the installer you need the gecko program.

The problems: :(
1) Diablo2 2 many times crushes it seems like it's run out of memory and i am not able to run it smoothly on my system which is strange.Example,while i am in the character creation screen sometime it freezes and i have to CTRL ALT X to kill it,or while i am in game i notice a sudden drop in Fps and if i continue to give commands to my hero e.x via clicking the mouse it will freeze and die! It also froze and died when i was trying to create my battlenet account :cry: :cry: :cry:

2) I have the old windows bug for diablo2 that when you ALT TAB outside of the game it causes your windows to be super bright with gamma! :cry: Literally i can't ALT TAB without fear of my system either freeze either to have this gamma brightness bug ! This can be solved if i log out as a user and re-log but this is not a good solution imo.

3) Using only Wine to run diablo 2 if i forget to go to console and type

Code: Select all

wineserver -k
to kill it it will cauze my system to have a kernel crash :shock: ! When i tested with playonlinux and pressed the kill processes that didn't happened

4) I ain't sure how my AMD VGA is working or is setup properly in my linux mint also i might f*up my system cuz i did installed some months ago amd and nvidia chipset "drivers" cuz i have nvidia processor and an AMD VGA .Cuz i do not know how to install the proper things.

My VGA is Asus EAH 5450 Silent :
Here is the report from my system info

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430] vendor: ASUSTeK Caicos driver: radeon 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:68e1 
Can you help me guys,setup my VGA properly and setup wine properly plz so i will be able to play diablo 2 ?

In playonlinux it had diablo2 installation but i do not know if it is from original files,and cuz many many programs out there have trojans and keyloggers inside them hiding as legitimate solutions,i do not trust them.I used to play on such games after realizing that i had a super trojan and a virus hiding in my bootloader when i was in windows,that's why i switched into linux mint,and that's why i bought official diablo 2 and i do not use maphacks or external programs like hero editor,plugy etc etc...Especially with plugy a friend of mine got a trojan,so yeah..lesson learned..

I thank you all for your time to read my post and ,all who will try to help me with a solution,i wish you all to have good health.Thank you!

Solved Update : The only ways i found was the virtual machine as user deepakdeshp suggested and then again i have ram problems due to my old rig but nevertheless a VM is a possible solution.But i mark it as solved cuz the only valid way so far and to my situation is to have a dual boot box with enough hdd space for windows and games that were made for windows :cry:
Last edited by Cybernetic on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wine,diablo 2 and VGA help plz?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Use an Windows Oracle virtual machine to install your game. Wine isn't foolproof.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... J4QZV-NHTW
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Lilarcor

Post by Lilarcor »

Hi Cybernetic. Have you tried this guide?

http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/diablo-ii-expansion-guide.217/
It installed well for me, but I haven't played the game thoroughly to be sure it's 100% flawless. Did you used the retail CD or the offline installer from your Battle.net account? I found it much easier with the latter.
Cybernetic

Post by Cybernetic »

Hello and ty for your answer,yes i did try it it does work but not perfect since i still get the gamma screen bug another major issue is that i can't connect to bnet ..so my only guess is to try virtual machine.
I was wondering,that diablo 2 has a version for Mac OS X which is in it's base a unixoid system ,do you think that the mac os X version will work on linux ? 8)
Ty !
(I did installed the game and played it but only in single player mode so far ,before i made this post i mean..But the problems still persist)

Return to “Gaming”