So close to installing mint on main PC

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

So close to installing mint on main PC

Post by mino9421 »

As the topic says, I am so close to installing linux on my main PC, but im hesistating and only using it on my second device.
The reason i want linux on my main machine is, because its powerful device and i wanna spend more time on linux than window10.
I am kind of stuck to win10 cuz sometimes i play games with friends and i dont know if i can rely on linux to play games. I kind of hate troubleshooting when its not the right time. I like doing things at the right time that's why that makes me a stable distro fan

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: So close to installing mint on main PC

Post by carum carvi »

mino9421 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:47 pm
As the topic says, I am so close to installing linux on my main PC, but im hesistating and only using it on my second device.

I am kind of stuck to win10 cuz sometimes i play games with friends and i dont know if i can rely on linux to play games.
Stay put.

Dont rely on Linux to play games. Itunes, Microsoft Office AND GAMES will not work with Linux. Installing Wine or Steam is an option, but basically for playing many games flawlessly, it is wise to KEEP Windows at one of your computers.

I am (was) a game addict. I choose Linux and I was happy that it did not support a lot of games out of the box. For me it is a good thing.

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

It really depends on what games you like to play.

Gaming on Linux has improved greatly in the past two years. It's at the point now where if I buy a Windows game, my expectation is that it will work on Linux.

For anecdotal evidence, on Steam, I have 71 games that are native Linux games, 88 games that are Windows games but work perfectly on Linux with no extra effort, 23 games that work but require some extra tweaking (although some are the same tweaks that you would need to do on Windows), and 23 games that are unplayable.

So the majority of my Steam games work on Linux. With GOG, I don't have any numbers, but I'd say it''s about similar percentages.

But there are no promises when it comes to Linux gaming. I mostly stick with single player games. I've heard that games that have anti-cheat features (which means online multiplayer games) are more likely to have problems.

A good place to start to see if the games you're interested will work is: https://www.protondb.com/

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

ugly wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:47 am
But there are no promises when it comes to Linux gaming. I mostly stick with single player games. I've heard that games that have anti-cheat features (which means online multiplayer games) are more likely to have problems.

A good place to start to see if the games you're interested will work is: https://www.protondb.com/
I only play multiplayer games like PoE, CSGO, League of Legends, some BR genre. I guess these are problematic selections

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

The perfect scenario for a dual boot system.
Keep your gaming setup, and install Linux Mint alongside.
libera ab tyrannis

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

all41 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:30 am
The perfect scenario for a dual boot system.
Keep your gaming setup, and install Linux Mint alongside.
I was thinking to buy an external SSD and install mint on it and connect it to my main machine with USB-c
do you think that would work ?

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

mino9421 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 am
I was thinking to buy an external SSD and install mint on it and connect it to my main machine with USB-c
do you think that would work ?
Yes it would (assuming BIOS allows you to boot from usb c), but why do it? If your 'main machine' is a desktop just buy an SSD and put it inside. I dual boot my desktop with win10 for one reason only - oculus rift. Previously had win and mint installed on their own SSDs, just switched to running both off a single 512GB nvme drive.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

mino9421 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:01 am
I only play multiplayer games like PoE, CSGO, League of Legends, some BR genre. I guess these are problematic selections
I'm pretty sure CSGO is a native Linux game. So you should be able to play it.

League of Legends supposedly works currently, but a new anti-cheat that will be introduced will eventually stop it from working.

Path of Exile seems to work, but looks like there are some performance issues.

But, a dual boot would probably be the better option for you.

As for your plan of getting an external SSD, that depends on your circumstances. As was already mentioned, you could just buy an internal SSD so you don't need to keep plugging and unplugging.

Personally, I've found the easiest way to deal with a dual boot is to just install Mint on a separate SSD from Windows and use the Boot drive selection when you start your PC to select the OS. I prefer to physically unplug all my other drives when I first install an OS.

So you could set your default boot to Mint, then whenever you want to play a game reboot your computer and select Windows. That way you will spend more time in Linux when you do other stuff, and only switch to Windows for gaming.

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

ugly wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:03 pm
mino9421 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:01 am
I'm pretty sure CSGO is a native Linux game. So you should be able to play it.

League of Legends supposedly works currently, but a new anti-cheat that will be introduced will eventually stop it from working.

Path of Exile seems to work, but looks like there are some performance issues.

But, a dual boot would probably be the better option for you.

As for your plan of getting an external SSD, that depends on your circumstances. As was already mentioned, you could just buy an internal SSD so you don't need to keep plugging and unplugging.

Personally, I've found the easiest way to deal with a dual boot is to just install Mint on a separate SSD from Windows and use the Boot drive selection when you start your PC to select the OS. I prefer to physically unplug all my other drives when I first install an OS.

So you could set your default boot to Mint, then whenever you want to play a game reboot your computer and select Windows. That way you will spend more time in Linux when you do other stuff, and only switch to Windows for gaming.
Yes I've been thinking to do this for some time now since I have a gaming laptop that's being used a main machine.
I have organized my setup similar to desktop, but instead of a PC its a mid-high end gaming laptop. I have connected a 144hz monitor to the laptop with keyboard and mouse now all i need is and external SSD 256-512GB would do perfectly fine for a Mint.
This looks like a dream setup its portable powerful desktop machine + it is win10 and on the side external SSD Linux mint

slowpoker2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slowpoker2 »

You are in exactly the same position i found myself once. I finally took the plunge and spent some money on a seperate SSD and installed mint on it. since then i use mint to do the grand majority of my PC activities, and switch to windows to play certain games or if my school work requires it.

It's unrealistic to think linux is a one size fits all solution, no matter the distro. But I think you will be happy to notice that your work/game flow isn't all that ruined by using linux, generally speaking.

I'd still keep windows around though, since some game developers simply refuse to work with linux still.

Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

I know your situation.
I dual boot on my iMac, MacOs/Win10. Windows is only used for gaming.

Linux Mint is on my laptop and its Linux only.
It had Win10 on it and it's now a much better machine.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”