Snes9x-GTK doesn't work with PS2-USB adapter

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IslandDon
Level 1
Level 1

Snes9x-GTK doesn't work with PS2-USB adapter

Post by IslandDon »

Hi, all. I have a PS2-USB two-port adapter, to which I've plugged in a cheap wireless PS2 controller. This setup works great in snes9x (not Snes9x-GTK as well as in Mega Man Maker via Play on Linux. Configuration of Snes9x was minimal--all I did was put path in snes9x.conf--and there was no configuration required at all for Mega Man Maker other than mapping the buttons.

Within Snes9x-GTK, all of the calibration controls are grayed out.

At the advice of folks on the snes9x forum, I tried setting SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE, so I added this to /etc/environment:

Code: Select all

SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js1
If I run cat $SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE, I get output from my controller. jstest-sdl -t 0 also shows output. This is the output of jstest-sdl -l. (js0 is the MacBook IMU.)

Code: Select all

$ jstest-sdl -l
Found 2 joystick(s)

Joystick Name:     'Twin USB Joystick'
Joystick GUID:     03000000100800000100000010010000
Joystick Number:    0
Number of Axes:     4
Number of Buttons: 12
Number of Hats:     1
Number of Balls:    0
GameController:
  not a gamepad

Joystick Name:     'Twin USB Joystick'
Joystick GUID:     03000000100800000100000010010000
Joystick Number:    1
Number of Axes:     4
Number of Buttons: 12
Number of Hats:     1
Number of Balls:    0
GameController:
  not a gamepad
I'd rather use Snes9x-GTK than regular Snes9X. Any thoughts on what I can do to get this working? QJoyPad is non-performant, unfortunately. There's all kinds of latency and lag even beyond what a super casual gamer like me can tolerate. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
azn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Snes9x-GTK doesn't work with PS2-USB adapter

Post by azn »

Do not mean to be mean but maybe just do not use the gtk frontend? I do not know this app but quick google search told me it is a console emulator, so you probably use some kind of file format to run the games. Are you sure you cannot make shortcuts to run particular game you want to play? If you can, you do not need to use frontend at all. Like seriously how many time do you spend im the menu? Also I checked the project page and it seems it hasn't been updated since 2011... 🤨

About megaman maker, I have it installed so I am sure usb gamepad is working perfectly. Maybe install it manually instead of using that play on linux hocus-pocus? 👻
Linux registered user #367282 | my YouTube channel

Return to “Gaming”