Steam games crash upon opening

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
worstcaster
Level 1
Level 1

Steam games crash upon opening

Post by worstcaster »

Anytime I try to open a Steam game with proton it will show the splash screen for a second and then crash back to desktop. I just got this laptop recently.

System specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3550H
GPU: AMD integrated graphics and GTX 1050 (Driver 440.82)
RAM: 8 GB

I think I'm having a problem with the Vulkan drivers. I was trying to get help on Steam's linux forums. I will link to that thread so you can see what I tried so far.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/d ... 772840743/
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Steam games crash upon opening

Post by ajgringo619 »

For Vulkan, run this: apt install vulkan-utils. You can also try using a different version of Proton. Many games work better with older versions. I only have one Windows game on Steam - Worms Armageddon - that needed the v3 release of Proton to work.
Mint 19.3 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-51-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
Minty_64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minty_64 »

I have a lot of video games on steam and usually the best course of action is finding out what works for each game and I haven't really run into problems that effect all games however I would recommend giving lutris a try as I can usually get a windows game working threw lutris as it has all the pre installation figured out and uploaded by the community.

that being said the only option I found with some games was to have a drive that has windows on as I found I couldn't get everything working on linux.

other then that what games are you having trouble with? maybe they have something in common?
worstcaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by worstcaster »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:47 pm
For Vulkan, run this: apt install vulkan-utils. I installed that already. Ill try some older versions of proton and see what happens.
worstcaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by worstcaster »

Minty_64 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 am
I have a lot of video games on steam and usually the best course of action is finding out what works for each game and I haven't really run into problems that effect all games however I would recommend giving lutris a try as I can usually get a windows game working threw lutris as it has all the pre installation figured out and uploaded by the community.

that being said the only option I found with some games was to have a drive that has windows on as I found I couldn't get everything working on linux.

other then that what games are you having trouble with? maybe they have something in common?
I've tried Mass Effect, Far Cry Blood Dragon, and Subnautica Below Zero.
Minty_64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Minty_64 »

for mass effect try doing some of the fixes here https://www.protondb.com/app/17460 for blood dragon https://www.protondb.com/app/233270 and subnotica https://www.protondb.com/app/848450

running games in linux can be hit or miss though you should have had luck with at least one of those titles.

in terminal type:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
and then copy past your results in a code display here

you still might want to give lutris a try as usually I have no problems using lutris, it's simple to set up except the vulkan drivers can be tricky but still has a webpage with a guide the drivers.
worstcaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by worstcaster »

I wound up just returning the laptop. It came with a m2 SSD and I had a 2.5" bay available, so in my frustration last night I reinstalled Windows 10 (to dual boot) and immediately had blue screens, hard freezes, and rebooting issues. I think Linux just runs so much better than Windows, it hid some major hardware issues as driver ones.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”