How is Linux gaming these days?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

How is Linux gaming these days?

Post by zshlover »

Last time I played games on Linux was over 15 years ago. Back then it was all puzzles and arcade games by hobbyists. How is gaming on Linux these days?
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt

antikythera
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How is Linux gaming these days?

Post by antikythera »

Much better, Lutris, Steam Proton, PlayOnLinux have most popular titles covered and performance is generally as good (sometimes better for games optimised for Linux on Steam).

Some Ubisoft games are problematic because of their DRM and cheat protection systems crying foul when games detect something other than Windows.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Vladimir00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vladimir00 »

Many pirate games for windows are working.It helps me wine,playonlinux,directX and vcrun6.

Wiggler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wiggler »

Way better than MacOS, but not as better as Windows.

Linux gaming improved very much thanks to Valve and Steam Play/proton especially;

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Wiggler wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:57 pm
Way better than MacOS, but not as better as Windows.

Linux gaming improved very much thanks to Valve and Steam Play/proton especially;
Plus Lutris really made managing wine/dxvk and containers much easier. Kind of like the old playonlinux program.

Infidelus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infidelus »

It does depend on the game, but Wine, with DXVK etc, have made massive improvements over the last few years. I used to dual boot just in case, but I don't even bother with that anymore. Linux all the way. The closest I get to Windows these days is a VirtualBox machine for the occasional random application that doesn't play nice.

As far as I'm concerned, if a game doesn't work (with or without Wine) on Linux, it's not worth playing anymore.

fatso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fatso »

A few months back, I followed a guide to get Grim Dawn working. I think it was on Lutris' web site. That seems to be the magic formula for me. In fact, the game actually runs better than it did on window$..a little. I created a new PlayOnLinux drive with all the same additions as the Grim Dawn one, and I use that as a "core", if you will. Copy-paste, install whatever. Out of 25 games I tested, (3D and otherwise), only 2 failed. How's that for cool?

RandomStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RandomStranger »

I don't play the popular multiplayer games like LoL, PUBG and Fortnite which have known issues with their anti-cheat systems. The only game that I had issues with is BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend which I couldn't run for a good 3 or 4 weeks after I first installed it, but after some updates and tweaking even that runs flawlessly. With GE custom Protons it's most of the times nearly as effortless as on Windows.

However I have now an issue with my Steam client as a whole on my laptop so there are still hiccups.

Lomax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lomax »

I dont run many native Linux games just a few puzzle / challenge type games games such as mahjongg and samegame. I do however run some Windows games on my laptop under Linux. The most noteworthy being World of Warcraft which I run under wine. The only issue I have found is a slightly lower FPS. In Windows it is always 60 FPS even in raids however in Linux it runs mostly between 57 in raids and 58 or 59 FPS otherwise. Seriously not enough of an issue to worry about. So I would say gaming under Linux is very good today. :)

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”